- Farber, Arthur S. (Arthur Sigmund), 1918-1980
- Arthur S. Farber papers
- 1956-1992 (inclusive)19561992
- 1.05 cubic feet (3 boxes)
- Collection Number
- (Accession No. 4394-003)
- Papers of a professor of social work and author focused on health, aging, death, and dying
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
The papers are open to all users.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was partially provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Arthur S. Farber, born in 1918, was an author and professor of social work. A native of New York, New York, Farber received his masters degree from Columbia University and completed an Advanced Degree in social work curriculum at the University of Pennsylvania in 1951. He served as executive director of Seattle's Jewish Family and Child Service and executive director of the Caroline Kline Galland Home for the Aged in Seattle before joining the University Washington School of Social Work in 1963. Farber died in 1980.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The papers consist of correspondence, course material, reports, speeches and writings, ephemera, and clippings relating to Arthur S. Farber's research and teaching in the areas of health, aging, and death and dying, especially the "Peckham Experiment" at the Pioneer Health Center in Peckham, England. The papers also document Farber's work in wellness and health promotion as one of the initiators of the community-based Wallingford Wellness Project in Seattle, Washington. Correspondents include Janet D. Bunbury and Innes Hope Pearse.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The creator's literary rights have been transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Arthur S. Farber Papers. Special Collections, University of Washington Libraries, Seattle, Washington.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Arranged by type of document.
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Biographical information, undatedReturn to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 1/1
General correspondence, 1956-1992, undatedReturn to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 1/2
Subject filesReturn to Top
Arthur Farber Wellness Fund
Human Life Styling
Nielsen, Aage - colloquium and University of Washington visit
Bunbury, Janet D.
Pearse, Innes Hope
Pepper, Allan D.
Speeches and writings of others - Innes Hope Pearse
Reports - Pioneer Health Center, Ltd.
Wallingford Wellness Project
Course materialReturn to Top
Death and dying
Death and dying workshops
Speeches and writingsReturn to Top
"The Last of Life for Which the First Is Made"
Conferences and conventions, undatedReturn to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 3/5
Clippings, undatedReturn to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 3/6
Miscellany, undatedReturn to Top
Container(s): Box-folder 3/7
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- College teachers--Washington (State)--Seattle--Archives
- Death--Social aspects
- Health promotion--England--London--Case studies
- Health promotion--Research--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Health promotion--Social aspects
- Sociologists--Washington (State)--Seattle--Archives
- Sociology teachers--Washington (State)--Seattle--Archives
- Sociology--Study and teaching (Higher)--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Bunbury, Janet D
- Farber, Arthur S. (Arthur Sigmund), 1918-1980--Archives
- Pearse, Innes Hope, 1889-
- Pioneer Health Centre (Peckham, London, England)
- University of Washington--Faculty
Form or Genre Terms
- Speeches, addresses, etc
- University of Washington. University Archives
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- University Archives/Faculty Papers (University of Washington)