- Evans, Elwood, 1828-1898; McLoughlin, John, 1784-1857; Applegate, Jesse A., 1811-1888; Victor, Frances Fuller, 1826-1902; Saxton, Charles
- Elwood Evans notebook
- 1859-1882 (inclusive)18591882
0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- A 036
- Elwood Evans (1828-1898) was a lawyer, politician, and historian of the Pacific Northwest. The collection consists of a single notebook intended primarily as source notes for Evans' historical work.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Elwood Evans (1828-1898), born in Philadelphia, went to Oregon Territory in 1851 as deputy collector of customs at Nisqually. From 1859 to 1861, he served as mayor of the newly incorporated town of Olympia, Washington. In addition to his historical work, A History of the Pacific Northwest, he contributed many historical articles to local papers.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The volume was intended as source notes for Evans' historical work. It relates particularly to John McLoughlin, and includes copies of letters by Jesse Applegate and Frances Fuller Victor, and a statement by McLoughlin. The first 37 pages are a transcript of The Oregonian by Charles Saxton (Washington, D.C., 1846).
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Elwood Evans Notebook|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Applegate, Jesse A., 1811-1888
- McLoughlin, John, 1784-1857
- Victor, Frances Fuller, 1826-1902
- Northwest, Pacific--History--Sources
- Oregon Territory--History--Sources
Form or Genre Terms