- Townsend Plan, Inc
- Townsend National Recovery Plan, Inc. records
- 1934-1960 (inclusive)19341960
- 7.5 linear feet, (6 containers) : 5 record storage boxes, 1 volume
- Collection Number
- Bx 115
- The Townsend Plan was an old-age pension plan idea proposed by California physician Francis E. Townsend in 1934, prior to the enactment of Social Security. The collection contains records of the Townsend National Headquarters in Ohio and includes Board of Director's minutes, Townsend Foundation Trustees minutes and resolutions, financial papers, correspondence, National Convention materials including audio recordings, materials of other pension organizations, literature and publications, Francis E. Townsend interviews, a scrapbook, and photographs.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time. Collection includes sound recordings, moving images, and digital files to which access is restricted. Access to these materials is governed by repository policy and may require the production of listening or viewing copies. Researchers requiring access must notify Special Collections and University Archives in advance and pay fees for reproduction services as necessary.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Townsend Plan (founded in 1933 as Old Age Revolving Pensions and called the Townsend National Recovery Plan from 1936 to ca. 1952) was an old-age pension plan idea proposed by California physician Francis E. Townsend in 1934, prior to the enactment of Social Security. Townsend located his national headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio from 1946-1956.
Source: Encyclopedia of Cleveland History: http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=TP1
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Old age pensions--United States
- Older people--United States--Economic conditions
- Social security--United States
- Townsend, Francis E. (Francis Everett), 1867-1960
- Old Age Revolving Pensions, Ltd.--Records and correspondence
- Townsend National Recovery Plan, Inc
- Townsend Plan, Inc
Form or Genre Terms
- Sound recordings