Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Department of Physics records , 1966-1970
- Department of Physics records
- 1966-1970 (inclusive)19661970
- 0.5 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 manuscript box
- Collection Number
- UA 171
- The Department of Physics at the University of Oregon grew out of the Natural Philosophy curriculum that was offered at the university beginning the year it was founded, 1876. The collection contains grant reports and U.S. Atomic Energy Commission records.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Natural philosophy (a term comprising both Physics and Chemistry that was commonly used in the 19th century) was part of the curriculum at the University of Oregon from the year it was founded in 1876. In 1879, approximately $2,000 were spent to purchase equipment for a physics laboratory, an unusually large sum at the time. Initially, physics was taught by Mark Bailey, Professor of Mathematics, but in 1879 the University appointed George H. Collier to the Chair of Physics, Chemistry, and Metallurgy.
Collier hired E.H. McAllister and S.E. McClure, the latter of whom became Professor of Chemistry when the subjects of Physics and Chemistry were divided, while Collier remained Professor of Physics until 1895. Under his successor, Charles Fridel, the department started to expand. In 1904, William P. Boynton, Assistant Professor of Physics, published a book on kinetic theory, which then was a very advanced topic.
By 1920 the Department had three faculty members. After a tumultuous time during the Great Depression, when for a while the very existence of the University of Oregon was threatened, the department has continued to expand. After World War II, research at the forefront of the scientific development was increasingly implemented at the University of Oregon. Gradually, the department grew to its present size of about 30 faculty members who are engaged in research in most of the active subfields of Physics.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this department.
Collection is organized by accession and includes (but is not limited to) the following material:
As of 2012 there is only one accession:
Accession 1996.99.A: Grant reports and U.S. Atomic Energy Commission records.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Department of Physics records|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Physics--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission
Form or Genre Terms
- Administrative records