Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Hazel Markel papers, approximately 1940-1970
- Markel, Hazel, 1899-1991
- Hazel Markel papers
- 10 cubic feet (11 boxes)
- Collection Number
- 4487 (Accession No. 4487-001)
- Papers of a high-school teacher, radio producer and educational director at KIRO before becoming a lieutenant comander in the U.S. Navy in 1943
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
No restrictions on paper-based materials. No user copies exist for audio tapes. Contact Special Collections for more information about access to audio recordings.
- Additional Reference Guides
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Hazel Markel (1899-1991) was born in Pendleton, Oregon. She graduated from the University of Washington with a degree in drama. She was a high school teacher, radio producer, and educational director at KIRO before becoming a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy in 1943. While in the Navy, she was in charge of network radio for the WAVES. After the war Markel took up reporting. She was best known for celebrity interviews, covering fashion shows, and being a commentator for NBC.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Awards, clippings, correspondence, invitations, notes, publications, publicity, scrapbooks, subject series, transcripts, writings, reel-to-reel audiotapes, publisher's proofs of newspaper pages.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Creator's literary rights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Donated by Virginia Herring Mahan, 10/27/1994.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- High school teachers--Washington (State)
- Journalists--United States--Archives
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)
- Radio producers and directors--Washington (State)--Seattle--Archives
- Reporters and reporting--United States
- Women radio producers and directors--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Markel, Hazel, 1899-1991--Archives
- KIRO (Radio station : Seattle, Wash.)
- National Broadcasting Company, inc
- United States. Navy--Officers--Archives
- WAVES National (Organization)