- Gallagher, Patrick J. (Patrick Joseph), b. 1884
- Patrick J. Gallagher papers
- 1913-1958 (inclusive)19131958
- 9.0 linear feet, (6 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 301
- Patrick Joseph Gallagher (1884- ) practiced law in Ontario and Portland, Oregon. The collection contains case files, and political and personal correspondence.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Patrick Joseph Gallagher practiced law in Ontario and Portland, Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains case files, and political and personal correspondence.
Case files are organized alphabetically by name or organization title and include Oregon and Idaho businesses and people.
The political correspondence largely relates to the 1944 and 1948 campaigns of Thomas E. Dewey. Major correspondents include: Hugh Biggs, Douglas McKay, Charles McNary, Wayne L. Morse, Charles Sprague, Robert N. Stanfield, Fred Steiwer, and Walter L. Tooze.
Personal files include correspondence, speeches and poetry. Personal correspondence is organized alphabetically by last name and includes many Gallagher family members.
Miscellaneous material consists of a scrapbook and an account book.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Patrick J. Gallagher papers, Ax 301, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Collection is organized into the following series: Case Files, Political Files, Personal Files, and Miscellaneous Material.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Political campaigns--Oregon
- Dewey, Thomas E. (Thomas Edmund), 1902-1971
- Gallagher family--Correspondence
- Oregon--Politics and government--1859-1950
Form or Genre Terms
- Legal files