Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Benjamin and William Alvord letters, 1861-1912
- Alvord, Benjamin, 1813-1884; Alvord, William Cullum
- Benjamin and William Alvord letters
- 1861-1912 (inclusive)18611912
- 0.45 cubic feet, (1 slim document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 719
- Collection includes a letter copy book belonging to William C. Alvord, as well as two manuscript letters to Benjamin Alvord, one from George E. Pickett, February 13, 1861, regarding the danger of a civil war; and one from James A. Garfield, November 20, 1880, thanking Alvord for his "congratulations."
Oregon Historical Society Research Library
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
General Benjamin Alvord was born in Rutland, Vermont, on August 18, 1813, and died October 16, 1884. He graduated from West Point in 1833, was a scholar and teacher for 21 years, and served on active duty in the Mexican War and a number of Indian Wars. In 1853, he was assigned to Fort Dalles at the eastern edge of the Columbia Gorge. He became Paymaster General of the U.S. Army in 1876 and retired in 1880. He produced research on mathematics, Indian customs, maps, and other topics. The Alvord Desert in Eastern Oregon is named for him.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection includes a letter copy book belonging to William C. Alvord, 1 volume, 1911-1912; a manuscript letter to Benjamin Alvord from George E. Pickett, 4 pages, February 13, 1861, regarding the danger of a civil war; and a manuscript letter to Benjamin Alvord from James A. Garfield, 1 page, November 20, 1880, thanking Alvord for his "congratulations."
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Benjamin and William Alvord letters, Mss 719, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
The Oregon Historical Society owns the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from copyright owners.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Alvord, Benjamin, 1813-1884--Correspondence
- Alvord, William Cullum--Correspondence
- Garfield, James A. (James Abram), 1831-1881--Correspondence
- Pickett, George E. (George Edward), 1825-1875--Correspondence
- Oregon--Politics and government
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Form or Genre Terms