- Alvord, Benjamin, 1813-1884.
- Benjamin and William Alvord letters
- 1861-1912 (inclusive)18611912
- .45 cubic feet (1 box)
- Collection Number
- Mss 719
- Collection includes materials belonging to William C. Alvord and Benjamin Alvord. General Benjamin Alvord was born in Rutland, Vermont, August 18, 1813, and died October 16, 1884.
- Oregon Historical Society Research Library
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Conversion of this record was made possible by a grant from the National Historic Publications and Records Commission, an agency of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
General Benjamin Alvord was born in Rutland, Vermont, August 18, 1813, and died October 16, 1884.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection includes: Letter copy book belonging to William C. Alvord, 1 vol., 1911-1912; Manuscript letter to Benjamin Alvord from George E. Pickett, 4 pp, February 13 1861, regarding the danger of a civil war; Manuscript letter to Benjamin Alvord from James A. Garfield, 1 p, November 20 1880, thanking Alvord for his "congratulations."
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library prior to any use of reproductions. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use of reproductions may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright holders.
Benjamin and William Alvord Letters, Mss 719, Oregon Historical Society Research Library.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Generals -- Oregon -- Correspondence.
- Alvord, Benjamin, -- 1813-1884 -- Correspondence.
- Alvord, William C. -- Correspondence.
- Garfield, James A. -- (James Abram), -- 1831-1881 -- Correspondence.
- Pickett, George E. -- (George Edward), -- 1825-1875 -- Correspondence.
- Oregon -- Politics and government.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
Form or Genre Terms
- Letters (correspondence) -- aat