Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
William Oliver Turner papers , 1963-1973
- Turner, William Oliver
- William Oliver Turner papers
- 1963-1973 (inclusive)19631973
- 1.5 linear feet, (1 container) : 1 record storage box
- Collection Number
- Ax 556
- William O. Turner (1914- ) became a free-lance fiction writer who specialized in westerns. The collection (1963-1973)contains manuscripts and correspondence, including letters exchanged with officers of Western Writers of America.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
William O. Turner (1914- ) was born in Tacoma, Washington and educated at Knox College. He became a free-lance fiction writer who specialized in westerns.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection (1963-1973) contains manuscripts, published books, and correspondence including letters exchanged with officers of Western Writers of America.
The initial donation of 1969 contains manuscripts and correspondence.
Manuscripts are available for the titles Blood Dance, A Man Called Jeff, Mayberly's Kill, and Ride the Vengeance Trail. Material may include drafts and rewrites, printer's and published copies, page proofs and notes.
Incoming correspondence is arranged alphabetically (1963-1967) and the outgoing correspondence is arranged chronologically (1964-1965). The paper finding aid does not explain which correspondents are with the Western Writers of America organization.
The addendum for 1974 contains manuscript material for the titles Call the Beast Thy Brother, A Man Called Jeff, Place of the Trap, and Thief Hunt. Material may include original and revised drafts, early versions, printer's copies with rewrites, and notes and research.
This addendum also contains a program from the alumni association of Turner's alma mater.
The 1975 addendum contains a typed draft of Medicine Creek.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the William Oliver Turner Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Authors, American--20th century
- Western stories--Authorship
- Turner, William Oliver
- Western Writers of America
- West (U.S.)--In literature
Form or Genre Terms
- Manuscripts for publication
- Western stories