Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
- Overview of the Collection
- Historical Background
- Content Description
- Administrative Information
- Detailed Description of the Collection
- Names and Subjects
George H. Barker Collection of Dam Construction Photographs and Ephemera, 1935-1952
- Barker, George H
- George H. Barker Collection of Dam Construction Photographs and Ephemera
- 1935-1952 (inclusive)19351952
- 243 photographic prints, 18 newspaper clippings (1 box)
- Collection Number
- Photographs and newspaper clippings documenting the construction of the Bonneville Dam, the Detroit Dam, and the Mud Mountain Dam.
University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was partially provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
George H. Barker was a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers inspector who worked on the Bonneville Dam, the Detroit Dam, and the Mud Mountain Dam.
Historical BackgroundReturn to Top
In addition to improving navigation and irrigation for the area, the Booneville Dam also generated energy for the benefit of the general public, a task regulated by the Bonneville Power Administration under the Department of the Interior. Dam construction was completed in 1938.
The Detroit Dam was created in response to a long-standing need for flood control in the Willamette River Basin in northwest Oregon, although it wasn't until 1932 that population growth and industrial development had reached a level to support the project. Work on the Detroit Dam was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1938; construction was initiated in March 1949 and completed in May 1953.
The Mud Mountain Dam was built to prevent the frequent flooding that occurred in South King County and North Pierce County in Washington State. When completed in 1948, it was the highest rock- and earth-filled dam in the world.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of images collected by George H. Barker documenting location sites and construction of the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River, linking Oregon and Washington; the Detroit Dam on the Santiam River in Oregon; and the Mud Mountain Dam on the Puyallup River in Washington. Also included are related newspaper clippings from The Seattle Times , The Oregonian (Portland, Or.), and The Capital Journal (Salem, Or.).
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Bonneville DamReturn to Top
Men building small dam across river
Columbia River in snow
|Apr. 11, 1935|
Auditorium building construction
|Apr. 12, 1935|
Excavating at lock site
|9||20||Apr. 18, 1935|
|May 25, 1935|
Two men standing in front of Bonneville Dam
Dump truck dumping material into river
Men on shore
Dump truck dumping material into river
Group of men
[Detroit Dam, Santiam River?]Return to Top
Container(s): Folder 47-48, Item 190-233
Photographs of construction site, people, equipment, pipes, and pylons; views of river, road, camp buildings, and mountain.
Newspaper ClippingsReturn to Top
The Oregonian, "Work Forges Ahead on Two Dams of Willamette Basin Project"
|Apr. 2, 1950|
The Capital Journal, "Rod Mill and Classifier for Detroit Dam"
|May 4, 1950|
The Capital Journal, "Detroit Forest Fire Now Held Under Control"
|June 3, 1950|
The Capital Journal, "Huge Detroit Dam Begins to Rise"
|Oct. 24, 1950|
The Capital Journal, "Impediment to Progress"
|Nov. 3, 1950|
The Capital Journal, "Detroit Dam Contract 42 Per Cent Completed"
|Mar. 27, 1951|
The Capital Journal, "Progress at Detroit Dam"
|Mar. 29, 1951|
The Seattle Times, "Two Engineers Post Bail on Bribe Charges"
|May 29, 1952|
The Oregonian, "Detroit Dam Passes Milestone"
|June 26, 1952|
"Detroit Dam Will Require 1,400,000 Yards of Concrete Placed in Blocks According to Construction Plans"
"Clearing for Dam Construction and Reservoir"
"Diversion Tunnel for Detroit Dam"
"Engineers To Let Contracts, $116 Million"
"Bedrock Excavations Ready Detroit Dam Site for Concrete"
"Pair Suspended Until Case Settled"
Special to The Times, "New Bonneville Official Coming"
"Priest Rapids Dam Proposal Meets Criticism"
"Proposed Eagle Gorge Dam Would Control Green River, Prevent Costly Floods and Possibly Generate Power"
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Building sites--Oregon--Photographs
- Building sites--Washington (State)--Photographs
- Construction workers--Oregon--Photographs
- Construction workers--Washington (State)--Photographs
- Dam construction--Oregon
- Dam construction--Washington (State)
- Dams--Washington (State)--Photographs
- Hydroelectric power--Washington (State)
- Irrigation--Washington (State)
- Rivers--Washington (State)--Photographs
- Visual Materials Collections (University of Washington)
- Water-power--Washington (State)
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945--Photographs
- Bonneville Dam (Or. and Wash)--Photographs
- Columbia River--Photographs
- Detroit Dam (Or.)--Photographs
- Mud Mountain Dam (Wash.)--Photographs
- Puyallup River (Wash.)--Photographs
- Santiam River (Or.)--Photographs
Form or Genre Terms
Titles within the Collection
- Capital journal (Salem, Or.)
- Oregonian (Portland, Or.)
- Seattle times (Seattle, Wash. : 1966)