- Clark, Robert Carlton, 1877-1939Wilson, Bushrod Washington, 1824-1900
- Bushrod Washington Wilson letters to Joseph P. Wilson
- 1846-1875 (inclusive)18461875
- 0.1 linear feet, (2 containers) : 2 folders
- Collection Number
- A 135
- Bushrod Washington Wilson (1824-1900) was a sailor, gold miner, and carpenter who eventually settled in Corvallis, Oregon, where he became a prominent citizen. The collection consists of Wilson's letters to his brother, Joseph.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Bushrod Washington Wilson (1824-1900) was born in Maine. In 1833 the Wilson family moved to New York, and in 1838 to Illinois. In 1843 Bushrod left home abruptly and signed on a whaler out of New Bedford for a voyage of three years. In 1849 he sailed on the William Gray, New York to San Francisco. In 1850 he travelled to Corvallis, Oregon, where he resided until his death. He married Priscilla Owsley Yantis in 1855, and they went on to have 13 children.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists entirely of Wilson's letters to his brother, Joseph. The letters are highly descriptive and lively, and comment on politics, business, and religion. There is one letter from Henry Clay Wilson, a cousin, to Joseph, written from Port Townsend, "Oregon Terr." in 1853, describing the prospects of the region.
The second folder consists of type-written transcriptions of the letters and a biographical sketch of Bushrod Wilson by R. C. Clark, head of the University of Oregon Department of History (1934).
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Gold miners--West (U.S.)
- Pioneers--Oregon Territory--Correspondence
- Wilson, Bushrod Washington, 1824-1900
- Oregon Territory--History
Form or Genre Terms