Archives West Finding Aid
UW Ethnomusicology Archives video recordings: Dariush Safvat and Javad Sanayei (Classical and Sufi Music of Persia), 1985-12-06
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives video recordings: Dariush Safvat and Javad Sanayei (Classical and Sufi Music of Persia)
- 1 videotapes : OT - 1 vct (VHS, sp, color, stereo); Duration: 2:02:55
- Collection Number
- Recorded at Seattle University, Pigott Auditorium, 12/6/85.
University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Unrestricted: collection is open for research.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives has been collecting and curating unique ethnographic music recordings for over 50 years. Its holdings of more than 15,000 items include field recordings documenting music traditions of all kinds from most areas of the world, concert recordings of visiting musicians, and films and videos of a variety of musical events, as well as several hundred musical instruments. The Archives serves the students and faculty in the UW Ethnomusicology Program, the broader university community, Pacific Northwest tribes, and an international clientele of musicians, students, and teachers.
Archival recordings are available for on-site listening. Depending on collection deposit agreements, copies of some materials may be obtained by researchers. Students are particularly encouraged to utilize archival materials to assist with class projects and help prepare for their own field work. The Archives employs several students each year and works informally with most ethnomusicology students as they begin to consider recording format options, equipment purchase, the practical problems of documentation in the field, and other issues related to their research. Students and other researchers are invited to deposit their field collections in the Archives, which offers secure storage and computer catalog access to all materials.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Videorecording by Kay Norton with Panasonic PV-9000.
Concert sponsored by Seattle University Iranian Student Club and Iranian Cultural Society.
Performers: Daryush Safvat/setar, santur; the Gholamhosain Janati-Ataie Ensemble; Javad Sanayei/voice.
Documentation: Concert flyer, program in Persian.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Classical Music, Persian
- Setar (South Asian musical instrument)
- Video recordings in ethnomusicology
- Iran--Middle East--Middle East
- Middle East--Middle East--General Middle East
- Seattle (Wash.)
Form or Genre Terms
- Video recordings
- Safvat, Dariush, 1928-2013 (performer)
- Sanayei, Javad (performer)
- Gholamhosain Janati-Ataie Ensemble (performer)