Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Port Townsend, Washington, Records, 1952-2012
- Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church (Port Townsend, Wash.)
- Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, Port Townsend, Washington, Records
- 1952-2012 (inclusive)19522012
- 1 file
- Collection Number
- OPVELCA 7a5_354 (collection)
- Collection contains the records of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in Port Townsend, Washington.
Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The seeds of the congregation are in a small group of Scandinavian Lutheran people who began regular worship and meetings in the 1880s. The group was ordinarily served by pastors who traveled from the Seattle-Tacoma area on a regular but infrequent basis. There was a hiatus in activity as an organized group from the 1920s through the early 1940s, when the group once again formed and was served both from Seattle and from Port Angeles until the formal organization in the Missouri Synod. In 1955 the present sanctuary and fellowship hall were built from volunteer labor. In 1962 a wing was added for office area and educational space. In 1963-1964 a parsonage was built.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This folder contains a congregational historical record, a letter from Milton Nesvig.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder
[identification of item] From the Grace Lutheran Church, Port Townsend, Washington, Records, OPVELCA7a5_354, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Transferred to ELCA Region I Archives. .
To search and view digitized images of congregations, visit our Digital Assets Website
Nesvig, Swanson, Nordquist, Emerson New Partners. Old Roots. Tacoma (Wash.) ALC, LCA, and ELC 1986
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Lutherans--Washington (State)--History
- Scandinavia--Emigration and immigration
- Fosser, Howard, 1985-?
- Hutchinson, Coe M.
- Sachs, Robert, 1984-1985
- Conrad, Robert, 1957-1963
- Soeldner, W. Thomas, 1977-1984
- Steinke, Harold, 1952-1957
- Steinke, Harold, 1963-1976
- Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--Southwestern Washington Synod
- Port Townsend (Wash.)
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Tacoma (Wash.)