Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Clyde L. Kiddle papers , 1937-1938
- Kiddle, Clyde L., 1891-1969; Snell, Earl, 1895-1947
- Clyde L. Kiddle papers
- 1937-1938 (inclusive)19371938
0.25 linear feet, (8 folders)
- Collection Number
- A 288
- Clyde L. Kiddle (1891-1969) was a native of Iowa who came to Oregon in 1896, served in the Oregon state Senate for one year in 1937, and then resigned in 1938 for a federal position with Oregon agriculture. The collection (1937-1938) contains letters from constituents, personal correspondence, scrapbook pages, bills introduced by Kiddle, Senate committee information, subject files, and biographical material.
University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
- Additional Reference Guides
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Clyde L. Kiddle (1891-1969) was born near Jefferson, Iowa, and came to Oregon in 1896. He was a farmer and rancher in Eastern Oregon, and served in World War II in the Marines.
In 1936, Kiddle was elected to the Oregon state Senate, representing Union and Wallowa counties, as a Democrat. He resigned in 1938 to take the position of State Supervisor of Crop Insurance for Oregon.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains three folders of letters from constituents, and one folder of personal correspondence.
Included in the collection is Kiddle's resignation letter to Governor Snell, and Snell's reply.
Also available is a folder of bills introduced by Kiddle during his year in the state senate, a subject file that contains information on agricultural issues, predatory animal control, game animals, and the Oregon State Grange.
There is also a file of scrapbook pages that include information on committees Kiddle served on or worked with, meeting minutes of the Railroads and Utilities committee (of which Kiddle was the chair), and clippings regarding Kiddle and the Oregon senate. There is one file of biographical material regarding Kiddle, which includes information about the Kiddle family and ranching business in Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|Guide to the Clyde L. Kiddle Papers|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Agriculture--Oregon--History--20th century
- Farmers--Oregon, Eastern
- Ranchers--Oregon, Eastern
- Kiddle, Clyde L., 1891-1969
- Snell, Earl, 1895-1947
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly. Senate
- Oregon--Politics and government--1859-1950
Form or Genre Terms
- Bills (legislative records)