Archives West Finding Aid
Table of Contents
Marisol Berrios-Miranda visiting artist concert recording, 2016-12-06
- University Of Illinois Ethnomusicology Archives
- Marisol Berrios-Miranda visiting artist concert recording
- 1 audio file : 1 WAV file; Duration: 0:57:42
- Collection Number
- Concert of Caribbean Music & Dance from Puerto Rico, Cuba, and More, 12-6-16, featuring Marisol Berrios-Miranda, Visiting Artist in Ethnomusicology, and students, Fall 2016.
University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
- English, Spanish
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
From Marisol Berríos-Miranda's website:
"Marisol has a PhD in ethnomusicology, but her first education came from a childhood in her native Puerto Rico, where she was soaked in music. 'I studied music academically, but the way I learned music - who sings well, what had a good rhythm - was sitting down and listening with my dad.' She also credits her mother, Juanita Miranda-Berrios. 'She is the encyclopedia. She knows everything about Latin rhythm and dance.' Marisol teaches in layers, one rhythm at a time. She recently completed a residency at Alki Elementary School, teaching Latin rhythms to 120 fourth and fifth graders, which culminated in a concert...As co-curator of the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit American Sabor, Marisol developed, in collaboration with Shannon Dudley and Michelle Habell-Pallán, a classroom curriculum, educator resources, and guided listening programs. The exhibit highlights the contributions of Latinos to popular music in the United States since World War II."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
2017.4.1.wav Recorded with Zoom H4 Handy Recorder by Christina Sunardi.
Musicians/Students: Thomas Bernardi (Clarinet, singing, dancing); Giuliana Conti (Viola, violin, cuá, maraca, singing, dancing); Bart Finnigan (Trumpet, singing, dancing); Paul Nikolas Johnson (guitar, alto sax, singing, dancing); Mike Kohfeld (tenor sax, singing, dancing); Christopher Mena (congas, timbales, pleneras, bomba drums, singing, dancing); Mathew Sablan (bass, pleneras, singing, dancing); Solmaz Shakerifard (piano, pleneras, singing, dancing); Kara Shantery (piano, pleneras, singing, dancing).
Guest Artists: José Fusté (bomba drums, pleneras, singing); Gabriel Ortiz (bomba drums, pleneras, singing; Jade Power-Sotomayor (maraca, pleneras, bomba dancing, singing).
Contents (from concert program):
1. "Manicero." Cuban son-pregón, composer: Moisés Simón, arranged by Marisol Berríos-Miranda, Shannon Dudley and Caribbean Music and Dance Students; 2. "Déjalo Que Suba." Puerto Rican plena, Rafael Cortijo e Ismael Rivera, arranged by Marisol and Caribbean Music and Dance Students; 3. "Y Toma y Toma." Puerto Rican bomba, tradition; 4. "Old Lady Walk a Mile and a Half." Trinidadian calypso, arranged by Shannon Dudley and Caribbean Music and Dance students; 5. "Conmigo." Puerto Rican salsa, Eddie Palmieri, arranged by Marisol Berríos-Miranda, Shannon Dudley and Caribbean Music and Dance Students.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Bomba (Dance)
- Calypso (Music)
- Berríos-Miranda, Marisol (performer)
- Puerto Rico
- South/Latin America