John Bradley Papers, 1846-1869 PDF
- Bradley, John
- John Bradley Papers
- 1846-1869 (inclusive)18461869
- 1 container., (.5 linear feet of shelf space.), (41 items.)
- Collection Number
- Cage 153
- Correspondence, financial and legal papers of the owner and commander of the steamer Lawrence.
- Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Cyrus Bradley's autobiography, prepared in 1893 for Hawthorne's History of Washington gives this account of John Bradley: "His father, the late Captain John Bradley, was the owner and commander of the steamer Lawrence, which did active service during the war of the Rebellion, on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers and other Southern waters. At the age of twelve years, young Cyrus removed with his parents to their home near Dayton, Ohio, and remained there until the death of his father, four years later [i.e. 1868]." [Typescript account, folder 48, Cyrus Bradley Papers]
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The papers of John Bradley are primarily concerned with legal and financial matters of his steamboat and real estate investments. They include a collection ledger, a cargo manifest, insurance policies, articles of agreement, bills of sale, and 1865 federal income tax receipt, four unidentified tintypes, and letters including one by young Cyrus to Mrs. John Bradley.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Item Description]. Cage 153, John Bradley Papers. Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
|1||Collection ledger, Steamer
Lawrence. Also miscellaneous notes, accounts and recipes probably by Cyrus
|2||Manifest of Steamer Lawrence,
Cincinnati to Little Rock
|March 22, 1867|
|3|| Cargo, steamboat and flatboat
|4||Articles of agreement, bills of sale, and other legal papers re: steamer and real estate purchases||1853-1869|
|5|| Income tax receipt
|6|| Correspondence, primarily to Mrs.
|7||Photographs: unidentified tintypes.
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Steamboats -- Mississippi River--History
- Steamboats -- Ohio River--History
- United States --History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- Personal Names :
- Bradley, John, d. ca. 1868. --Archives (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- Lawrence (Steamer)