Oral history interview with Kay Kantor Pomerantz, 1987 PDF
- Pomerantz, Kay Kantor
- Oral history interview with Kay Kantor Pomerantz
- 1987 (inclusive)19871987
- 2 audio cassettes; transcript: 42 pages.
- Collection Number
- 3873 (Accession No. 3873-001)
- Tape-recorded interview and transcript of Kay Kantor Pomerantz, director of the Jewish Education council, discussing her role as head of the Jewish Education Committee from the time she was hired in 1972
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Access restricted: For terms of access contact repository.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Tape-recorded interview with transcript, conducted by Ann Nieder, 7/1/87. Background material/organizational features, clippings, 1986.
Kay Pomerantz, director of the Jewish Education council, discusses her role as head of the Jewish Education Committee from the time she was hired in 1972. Her responsibility at the time was in teacher training and teen education (High School of Jewish Studies). She describes the formation of the Jewish Education Council independent of the Jewish Federation in 1981 when Sam Stroum was head of the Jewish Federation and Lawrence Nieder was the chairman of the Jewish Education committee. Mrs. Pomerantz discusses the benefits of the scholarship program for teen trips to Israel and the Jewish Awareness Institute. She helped the parents who created the Jewish Day School of Metropolitan Seattle and later implemented a new Hebrew language program for the schools.
She describes the start of the Kay Pomerantz Jewish Education Library. A Professional Principal's Association was created as well as a Jewish Librarian's Association and the Conference for Alternatives in Jewish Education meeting is mentioned. Kay Pomerantz states that advocacy for Jewish Education has been her greatest contribution as director of the Jewish education Council.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Creator's literary rights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Jews--Washington (State)--Seattle--Interviews
- Personal Names :
- Stroum, Samuel, 1921-2000
- Corporate Names :
- Jewish Awareness Institute (Seattle, Wash.)
- Jewish Education Council of Greater Seattle
- Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle. Jewish Education Committee
- Kay Pomerantz Jewish Education Library
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Nieder, Ann (interviewer)