Robert A. Baxter Papers, 1875-1893 PDF
- Baxter, Robert A., 1836-1927
- Robert A. Baxter Papers
- 2 items
- Collection Number
- Collection 0809, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Robert A. Baxter papers consist of a positive photocopy of Baxter’s 1875 declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States and an original ledger book most likely listing the initial investors in the Farmer's Canal Company of Gallatin County, Montana. Entries range from 1890 to 1893.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Robert A. Baxter was born in County Donegal, Ireland, April 28, 1836, the son of George and Sarah (Anderson) Baxter. When Robert was about twelve years of age his parents immigrated to America, locating in Ontario, Canada. He moved on to San Francisco in 1865 where he farmed until the early 1870s and then located a homestead in the Gallatin Valley northwest of Bozeman, Montana. His ranch eventually grew to over 400 acres and is still owned by his descendants. Baxter became treasurer of the Farmer's Canal company, a stockholder in and a director of the Commercial Bank of Bozeman and a trustee of the Bozeman Milling Company. He died in 1927.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Robert A. Baxter papers consist of a positive photocopy of his 1875 declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States, issued in Solano County, California, and an original ledger book most likely listing the initial investors in the Farmer's Canal Company of Gallatin County, Montana. The name of the business enterprise is not recorded in the ledger, and only a few pages are filled out with entries that range from 1890 to 1893.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Business enterprises -- Montana -- Gallatin County
- Citizenship -- United States
- Irish Americans -- Montana -- Gallatin County
- Corporate Names :
- Farmer's Canal Company (Gallatin County, Mont.)
- Geographical Names :
- Gallatin County (Mont.)