The Logan Temple Time Books reflect labor time spent on the construction of the Logan Temple in Logan, Utah from 1877 to 1884. Cache Valley farmers divided their time between farming and contributing labor at the temple block. Originally 127 time books were kept, each containing the number and names of laborers, their place of residence, wages, type of work performed and number of days worked. These titled notebooks included: Franklin Quarry (4 books); Green Canyon Quarry (11 books); Hyde Park Quarry (3 books); Lime Kiln (6 books); Saw Mill (24 books); Wood Camp (9 books); Temple Block (7 books). Other contributions in kind were listed in various accounts contained in the temple ledger books, consisting of five volumes covering the years 1877-1886. Though the three time books held in Utah State University Special Collections and Archives are available for scholarly use, the remaining time books and ledgers held at the Historical Department Archives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah, are not accessible to scholars.
A temple district in northern Utah had been organized under Brigham Young's direction and was comprised of Cache, Box Elder and Rich counties. The nine acre temple site was chosen by President Young and dedicated by the prayer of Orson Pratt on 17 May 1877. Charles Ora Card, a sawmill operator, was appointed superintendent of construction on 17 May 1884 by President John Taylor. Constructed from local materials, at completion the temple measured 171 feet long, 95 feet wide and 86 feet high at the square.
Three time books documenting labor on the construction of the Logan, Utah Mormon temple (1877-1884). Two of the books list names, residences, hours and wages of workers: one at the Temple Block from October 6 to November 24, 1877 and the other at the Green Canyon Quarry Camp from May 12 to December 28, 1879. The third book names women who did the cleaning, sewing and other work from March 14 to May 24, 1884 before an immediately following the dedication of the Temple by President John Taylor on May 17, 1884.
Associated materials exist. The Historical Department Archives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds the bulk (124) of the Logan Temple construction time books. The three time books held by Utah State University Special Collections and Archives are the gift of a private donor.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances.
Permission to publish material from the Logan Temple Time Books must be obtained from the Special Collections Manuscript Curator and/or the Special Collections Department Head.
Initial Citation: Logan Temple Time Books USU_COLL MSS 223, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. Utah State University Merrill-Cazier Library. Logan, Utah.
Following Citations:USU_COLL MSS 223, USUSCA.
|1||1||Logan Temple Block, Book 6||1877 October 6 - November 24|
|1||2||Logan Temple (Green Canyon) Quarry Camp, Book 6||1878 May 12 - December 28|
|1||3||Time Book and Rock Hauling a/c, "Names of persons who have helped cleaning and sewing in Logan Temple||1884 March 14 - May 24|