Messiah Lutheran Church, Auburn, Washington, Records, 1924-2012 PDF
- Messiah Lutheran Church (Auburn, Wash.)
- Messiah Lutheran Church, Auburn, Washington, Records
- 1924-2012 (inclusive)19242012
- 2 files
- Collection Number
- OPVELCA 7a5_257 (collection)
- Collection contains the records of Messiah Lutheran Church in Auburn, Washington.
- Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Messiah Lutheran organized under the guidance of Dr. E. C. Bloomquist of First Lutheran, Tacoma. Groundbreaking for the first church was held June 4, 1925.
Pastor E. Arthur Larson began serving Messiah in 1928 in conjunction with Bethel of Tacoma. On January 13, 1942 the congregation voted to become a separate parish and established a Sunday School at Lutherland in Federal Way.
Indebtedness of the property was paid off in 1944. The chancel area was remodeled in 1945, a pipe organ installed in 1947 and a parsonage built in 1948.
Property for the future building was purchased in the early 1950s. Groundbreaking for the new church was held October 13, 1957. The first service in the new building was July 13, 1958. An education building was erected in 1961. In 1979 the 55th anniversary was celebrated with the dedication of a new education unit.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
(Folder #1) This folder contains a congregational historical record, a brief history of the congregation, a list of pastors that have served the congregation, a copy of the “Messiah Messenger” newsletter from 1963, a bulletin from 1962, a booklet and a copy of the booklet from the dedication, various copies of the Messiah Messenger, two booklets from the 25th anniversary, a 50th anniversary booklet, a 55th anniversary directory, various letters, and annual message from the pastor 1962.
(Folder #2) This folder contains various bulletins and various copies of the “Messiah Messenger” newsletter.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder
From the Messiah Lutheran Church, Auburn, Washington, Records, OPVELCA7a5_257, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Church anniversaries
- Lutherans--Washington (State)--History
- Personal Names :
- Larson, E. Arthur, 1928-1943
- Berg, Carlton, 1957-1965
- Dillon, Joe
- Gieschen, Kurt, 1979-1982
- Gunnerson, Charles, 1968-1971
- Johnson, Elmer, 1926-1928
- Kaurin, Gregory S.
- Kelly, Jack, 1971-1974
- Martin-Dent, Melanie, 1982-?
- Mickelson, Stephen, 1976-1979
- Nelson, Carl E., 1943-1952
- Rolander, Oscar, 1953-1956
- Sigmar, Eric H., 1966-?
- Thorene, Hugo, 1924-1926
- Vatne, Traci D.
- Wooldridge, Eric W.
- Corporate Names :
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--Southwestern Washington Synod
- First Lutheran Church (Tacoma, Wash.)
- Messiah Lutheran Church (creator)
- Geographical Names :
- Federal Way (Wash.)
- Auburn (Wash.)
- Tacoma (Wash.)
- Occupations :