Louis Linden Madsen Papers, 1956-1973 PDF
- Madsen, Louis Linden
- Louis Linden Madsen Papers
- 1956-1973 (inclusive)19561973
- 5 containers., (5 linear feet of shelf space.), (1750 items.)
- Collection Number
- Cage 397
- Minutes, agendas, reports, resolutions, proposals, land and timber appraisals, correspondence and other papers relating to the monthly meetings of the Board of Natural Resources. Principal correspondents include Governors Albert Rosellini and Dan Evans, and Commissioner of Public Lands Bert Cole.
- Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Terrell Library Suite 12
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Louis Linden Madsen was born in Salt Lake City in 1907, received his Bachelor of Science Degree from Utah State Agricultural College in 1930, and went on to obtain his Doctorate from Cornell University in 1934. On July 1, 1955 he became the Director of the Washington State University Institute of Agricultural Science which, in 1965, was renamed the College of Agriculture. He retired from W.S.U. as Dean Emeritus in 1973. His papers, however, concern his tenure as a member of the Washington State Board of Natural Resources.
In 1957 the state of Washington enacted House Bill No. 68 which stipulated the creation of the Department of Natural Resources and its executive body, the Board of Natural Resources. This law also designated the board members as the Governor, the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Commissioner of Public Lands, the Dean of the College of Forestry of the University of Washington, and the Dean or Director of the School of Agriculture of W.S.U. Dr. Madsen sat on the board from 1957 to 1973. The Board held its first meeting April 1, 1957 and, by law, chose the head of the Department of Natural Resources. The department, under the direction of the board, abolished and consolidated the functions of: the Board of State Land Commissioners; the Forestry Board; the Sustained-Yield Forest Committee; and others. The board itself exclusively controls and supervises the department and all public lands, including their use, lease, exchange, acquisition, sale, timber production, minerals, and other valuable materials.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Item Description]. Cage 397, Louis Linden Madsen Papers. Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
Series 1: Subject FileReturn to Top
Battelle: Log Export
|November 30, 1964-March 1965|
|September 4, 1958-August 10, 1959|
|August 26, 1957-November 4, 1958|
Colockum Creek Research Area
|April 24, 1960- December 18, 1962|
European Pine Shoot Moth
|June 10, 1960-June 6, 1962|
Forest Roads: Baker Report
|May 3, 1960-March 14, 1961|
Fransen vs. Board
|February 18, 1965-January 19, 1966|
Harbor Line Commission
|July 14, 1960-September 6, 1967|
|February 15, 1963-June 10, 1963|
Legislative Bills: Department of Natural Resources
|January 18, 1957-May 7, 1957|
Publications: Department of Natural Resources
|January 10, 1958-April 21, 1960|
Red Lake Exchange
|July 7, 1960-December 13, 1960|
University Grant Land Appraisals
|February 24, 1965-March 9, 1965|
Western States Land Commission Association
|March 24, 1961-August 24, 1961|
Yocolt Honor Camp
|January 28, 1958-February 3, 1958|
Series 2: Chronological FileReturn to Top
|November 8, 1956-March 5, 1965|
|January 27, 1965-May 9, 1967|
|May 26, 1967-May 1, 1969|
|April 6, 1969-January 27, 1971|
|January 20, 1971-March 20, 1973|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Natural resources--Washington (State)--Management
- Personal Names :
- Madsen, Louis Linden, 1907- --Archives (creator)
- Cole, Bert L.
- Evans, Daniel J., 1925-
- Rosellini, Albert D.
- Corporate Names :
- Washington (State). Governor (1957-1965 : Rosellini)
- Washington (State). Board of Natural Resources
- Washington (State). Governor (1965-1977 : Evans)