Robert Blackford Duncan papers, 1957-1980 PDF
- Duncan, Robert, 1920-2011
- Robert Blackford Duncan papers
- 1957-1980 (inclusive)19571980
- 94.5 linear feet, (63 containers) : 63 record storage boxes
- Collection Number
- Ax 535
- Robert Duncan (1920-2011) served in the merchant marine and the Naval Air force, became a lawyer, and served in the Oregon State legislature and the US House of Representatives. The collection contains office and legislative files, correspondence, subject and research files, committee files, film and tape recordings, and campaign files.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
1299 University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
UNARRANGED COLLECTION. UNAVAILABLE FOR USE. For more information, please submit a Notice of Interest in Unprocessed Collections
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Robert Duncan (1920-2011) was born in Normal, Illinois. He later attended the University of Alaska and Wesleyan University, graduating in 1942. He served in the United States Merchant Marine and Naval Air Force from 1942-1945. He then worked in the placer gold fields of Alaska, with a seed corn company in Illinois, and with a bank in Chicago.In 1948 he earned a a law degree from the University of Michigan and soon afterward moved his family to Oregon.
Duncan was nominated as a write-in candidate for the Oregon state legislature in 1954, but declined for business reasons. He was later elected in 1956 to the Oregon House of Representatives and served until 1962, becoming Speaker of the House for four of those years. He was then elected as a Democrat to the US House (1963-1967). He ran unsuccessfully for US Senate in 1968 and 1972. He was again elected as a Democrat to the US House (1975-1981). He then worked as a lawyer in Portland, for the Northwest Power Planning Council, 1984-1988, and served as chairman in 1987.
He married Marijane Dill in 1942 and together they had seven children. Marijane died in 1989 and Duncan later married Kathryn Boe. Duncan died on April 29, 2011.
Source: Biographical Directory of the United States Congress: http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=D000537
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains office and legislative files, correspondence, subject and research files, committee files, film and tape recordings, and campaign files,
The initial donation of 1969 contains congressional files alphabetically arranged by title. Material includes legislative, committee, campaign, subject and research files, and correspondence. Also included here are film and tape recordings, and personal and office expense accounts.
The 1980 addenda is comprised of material from Duncan's time serving as in the US House of Representatives from 1975 to 1981. Material is arranged in order of congressional session, and then each session's files are arranged alphabetically by title. Material includes legislative files, correspondence, bills, subject files and research material, and committee files, 1975-1980
The 1981 addenda contains Duncan's voting record of the 94-95th Congresses, foreign relations files, conservation notebook, four notebooks of voting records, copies of bills sponsored by Duncan, and appropriations material for transportation, forestry, energy and interior, 1975-1980.
The 1984 addenda consists of subject files and correspondence about energy, health, Oregon power projects, and appropriations material for transportation, Oregon light rail, forestry, and interior, 1977-1980.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
[Identification of item], Robert Blackford Duncan papers, Ax 535, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Legislators--United States
- Legislators--United States--Correspondence
- Personal Names :
- Duncan, Robert, 1920-2011
- Corporate Names :
- United States. Congress. House
- Geographical Names :
- Oregon--Politics and government--1951-
- United States--Politics and government--1945-1989
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Legislative records