Hill Military Academy Records, 1881-1973 PDF
- Hill Military Academy (Portland, Or.)
- Hill Military Academy Records
- 1881-1973 (inclusive)18811973
- .4 cubic feet, (1 document case)
- Collection Number
- Mss 81
- Records relating to the Hill Military Academy, a private boys secondary school in Portland, Oregon. Most material was created by the school's director, Joseph W. Hill, and includes a small amount of correspondence, drawings of the school building, scrapbook, and lists of students. Some materials relate to the Bishop Scott Academy in Portland, for which Hill was director prior to 1901.
- Oregon Historical Society, Davies Family Research Library
Davies Family Research Library
Oregon Historical Society
1200 SW Park Avenue
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Established in northwest Portland, Oregon, in 1901 as a private military school for young boys, Hill Military Academy built a solid reputation for developing the mind, body, and morals of its students for nearly 60 years. Joseph W. Hill, long-time headmaster of the Bishop Scott Academy (earlier the Bishop Scott Grammar School), founded the military school and served as its first headmaster until his retirement in the early 1920s. Under Hill's leadership the school grew in both size and prestige. After retiring, Hill's sons, Joseph A. Hill and Benjamin W. Hill continued the operation of the military academy and in 1929 moved the school to a larger facility in the Rocky Butte area of Portland, where it remained until its closure in 1959.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Records include: correspondence and other files (1911-1932) regarding Hill Military Academy students and finances; list of students (n.d.) arranged by hometown; student's autograph album from the Bishop Scott Grammar School (1881) signed by classmates; scrapbook of Joseph W. Hill; blueprint (n.d.) of second and third floor of Hill Military Academy; and reproductions of drawings of the building. Also includes one bound index of students at Bishop Scott Academy (1899), including names and hometowns. The collection contains materials formerly designated as Mss 81-1.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library prior to any use of reproductions. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use of reproductions may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.
Hill Military Academy Records, Mss 81, Oregon Historical Society Research Library
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.
|1||Autograph book from Bishop Scott Grammar School||1881|
|2||Correspondence and miscellany||1891-1973, undated|
|3||Drawings of the Hill Military Academy (reproductions)||undated|
Includes "Rules and Regulations" of the Hill Military Academy, 1922-1923; blueprint of second floor plan; booklet and menu from Bishop Scott Academy; recipes; and luggage stickers from Long Beach, Washington.
|5||Index of students at the Bishop Scott Academy||1887-1900|
|6||Scrapbook of Joseph W. Hill||1901-1902|
|7||Student list, historical||circa 1917|
|8||Student names, A-G||1949-1959|
|9||Student names, H-N||1949-1959|
|10||Student names, O-Z||1949-1959|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Military education--Oregon--Portland
- Personal Names :
- Hill Military Academy (Portland, Or.)--Archives
- Hill, Benjamin W.
- Hill, Joseph A.
- Hill, Joseph W., 1856-1930--Correspondence (creator)
- Corporate Names :
- Bishop Scott Academy--Archives
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Autograph albums