Harper Hubert Wilson papers, 1954-1970 PDF
- Wilson, Hubert Wilson, 1909-
- Harper Hubert Wilson papers
- 1954-1970 (inclusive)19541970
- 0.25 linear feet, (4 folders)
- Collection Number
- A 209
- Harper Hubert Wilson (1909 - ?) was a professor of political science at Princeton University. The collection (1954-1970) contains correspondence with Robert Staughton Lynd and with J. Edgar Hoover, among others, regarding civil liberties and politics of the day, and also clippings regarding Wilson, Hoover, and Lynd.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Harper Hubert Wilson (1909 - ?) was a professor of political science at Princeton University. He corresponded with Robert Staughton Lynd, and with J. Edgar Hoover, regarding violations of civil liberties.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The letters with exchanged with J. Edgar Hoover are quite acrimonious. There are over 102 letters between Wilson and Robert Staughton Lynd, a noted American sociologist. There are 134 letters total in the collection.
The outgoing correspondence file contains letters dated 1954 to 1974.
The incoming correspondence file contains letters from J. Edgar Hoover, Lyle Mercer, and Robert B. Payne, among others.
The collection does contain correspondence about politics, but also letters from parents or students regarding classes Wilson taught, who were upset at perceived political or philosophical biases. The collection includes Wilson's answers to these letters.
There is a separate file for incoming letters from Robert S. Lynd.
The collection also contains a file of media clippings regarding exchanges between Hoover, Wilson, and Lynd.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Harper Hubert Wilson papers, A 209, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Education, Higher--United States--History--20th century
- Personal Names :
- Wilson, Hubert Wilson, 1909-
- Geographical Names :
- United States--Politics and government--20th century
- Form or Genre Terms :