First English Lutheran Church, Great Falls, Montana, Records, 1905-2012  PDF

Overview of the Collection

Creator
First English Lutheran Church (Great Falls, Mont.)
Title
First English Lutheran Church, Great Falls, Montana, Records
Dates
1905-2012 (inclusive)
Quantity
1 file
Collection Number
OPVELCA7a_89 (collection)
Summary
Collection contains the records of First English Lutheran Church in Great Falls, Montana.
Repository
Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
Tacoma, Washington
98447
Telephone: 253-535-7586
Fax: 253-535-7315
archives@plu.edu
Access Restrictions

Collection is available for research

Languages
English
Sponsor
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission


Historical NoteReturn to Top

The women of Swedish descent in Great Falls were anxious for a Swedish Lutheran church. They would often walk miles with their children to get together, and from this group a desire grew for a church. P. A. Fair, a minister from Helena, Montana, was contacted and came to Great Falls on October 19, 1901. The congregation began meeting on the top floor over the Grove Grocery Store, the first service being held July 16, 1905. In October of that year the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethlehem Church was formed with 87 adults. They continued to meet at Grove Hall on Third Avenue North and Ninth Street. In 1906, Bethlehem Church was the Augustana Synod’s largest mission church with 100 adult members and 100 children.

Land was purchased and construction was begun on the church. In 1908, services were held in the basement. Formal dedication of the completed structure was held November 12, 1911. By 1925 all services were in English, and in that year the name was changed to First English Lutheran Church.

In 1921 the women were given the right to vote. In 1934 the church began broadcasting services over KFBB Radio. In 1942 an addition was under construction. First English started a mission in 1951 in the Lower Sun River Community. The mission flourished and is now Bethel Lutheran Church.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

This folder includes a congregational historical record, a booklet from their 75th anniversary, 1946 yearbook, two copies and one original newspaper article.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder

Preferred Citation

From the First English Lutheran Church, Great Falls, Montana, Records, OPVELCA7a3_89, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Names and SubjectsReturn to Top

  • Subject Terms :
  • Lutherans--Montana--History
  • Personal Names :
  • Anderson, Carl G., 1915-1916
  • Eckstrom, C. A., 1911-1914
  • Lorimer, Emanuel M., 1932-1942
  • Anderson, Charles J., 1969-
  • Beckman, Peter T., 1958-1959
  • Carlson, Christoffer T., 1905-1909
  • Crist, Jessica, 1984-
  • Elmer M. Johnson, 1960-1968
  • Forsberg, Nels J., 1917-1921
  • Lindquist, Ralph R., 1943-1952
  • Metropoulos, Valyn
  • Monson, Gilbert T., 1929-1932
  • Nelson, Carl E. R., 1952-1957
  • Olson, John Helmer, 1921-1929
  • Corporate Names :
  • Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church -- Montana Synod
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
  • Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethlehem Church (Great Falls, Mont.)
  • Geographical Names :
  • Great Falls (Mont.)
  • Helena (Mont.)
  • Sun River (Mont.)
  • Occupations :
  • Clergy