Albert Zieber diary and letters, 1850 PDF
- Zieber, Albert, 1830-1890Zieber, John S.
- Albert Zieber diary and letters
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- A 139
- Alfred Zieber (1830-1890) travelled overland from Peoria, Illinois to California. The collection consists of Zieber's diary of his journey, as well as four subsequent letters from his father, John S. Zieber.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The diary describes Zieber's overland trip to California, March 28 to June 6, 1850, as far as South Pass. Entries describe the weather and daily occurrences on the trail. The first page of the diary is a catalog of provisions purchased for the journey and their cost. Zieber also recorded his wages earned and employers in the back of the diary.
There are four letters from his father, John S. Zieber, written April, June, and October 1850, gossiping about Peoria persons and events. The letters anticipate Zieber Senior's emigration to Oregon in 1851.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Albert Zieber (1830-1890) was a native of Peoria, Illinois who travelled overland to California in 1850.
Following his journey to California, he moved to Oregon, where he ran the Wheatland Ferry (as Zieber's Ferry) in Marion County from 1857 to 1860.
In 1856, Albert's father John S. Zieber was surveyor general of Oregon.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Albert Zieber diary and letters, A 139, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life--Illinois--Peoria
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Personal Names :
- Zieber, Albert, 1830-1890--Correspondence
- Zieber, Albert, 1830-1890--Diaries
- Zieber, John S.--Correspondence
- Geographical Names :
- Peoria (Ill.)--Social life and customs--19th century
- Form or Genre Terms :