Christian Schneider papers, 1884-1909 PDF
- Schneider, Christian, 1844-1926
- Christian Schneider papers
- 1884-1909 (inclusive)18841909
- 0.5 linear feet
- Collection Number
- The Christian Schneider papers (1884-1909) contain diaries, letters, a temple record, and "The Shirt-Tail Provenade," an account of a chapter of his life. Schneider was born in Switzerland in 1844. He joined the LDS Church at age 23 and moved to Utah in 1868, where he worked on the transcontinental railroad and was present when the Golden Spike was driven.
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Original copies were removed and placed in the Reserve Collection.
Twenty-four hour advanced notice encouraged. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Christian was born 11 August 1844 in Switzerland. At the age of 23, he joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (hereafter LDS or Mormon Church). He left for America on 23 June 1868, reaching the Salt Lake Valley 15 September 1868. He worked on the transcontinental railroad and was present at Promontory Point 10 May 1869 when workers drove the Golden Spike. He married Susanna Klossner, a good friend from Switzerland before returning to Logan. He married a second wife, Johanna Torbjornson, in 1884. He did much temple work for the LDS church at the Logan Temple. His first wife, Susanna, died in 1903. Christian followed her on 10 September 1926 and was buried in Logan.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Christian Schneider papers (1884-1909) contain diaries, letters, a temple record, and "The Shirt-Tail Provenade," an account of a chapter of his life. Most of the collection centers around Christian's mission work in Switzerland, reflected in the correspondence and diaries. Originals were removed and place in the Reserve Collection.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The library does not claim to control copyright for all materials in the collection. An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights as outlined in Title 45 CFR, part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects). For further information, please review the J. Willard Marriott Library’s Use Agreement and Reproduction Request forms.
Initial Citation: Christian Schneider papers, Accn 1761, Box [ ]. Special Collections and Archives. University of Utah, J. Willard Marriott. Salt Lake City, Utah.
Following Citations: Accn 1761.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||3||Day Journal (Photocopy)|
|1||4-5||Diary and Tithing Record (Photocopy)||1887-1894|
|1||6||Temple Record and "The Shirt-Tail Provenade" (Photocopies)|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Mormon Church--Missions--Switzerland
- Mormon converts--Switzerland
- Mormon missionaries--Switzerland
- Personal Names :
- Schneider, Christian, 1844-1926--Archives
- Form or Genre Terms :