Mary Louise Armstrong Collection, 1936-1946 PDF
- Armstrong, Mary Louise.
- Mary Louise Armstrong Collection
- 1936-1946 (inclusive)19361946
- 0.02 cubic foot, including 11 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Armstrong
- The Mary Louise Armstrong Collection consists of photographs and newspaper clippings documenting Armstrong's student years at Oregon State College and her work as a Regional Home Economist for the Live Stock and Meat Board in the 1940s. Armstrong earned a BS in home economics from Oregon State in 1943.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Mary Louise (Mary Lou) Armstrong, from Portland, Oregon, earned a BS in home economics from Oregon State College in 1943. She enrolled at Oregon State in fall 1939 and participated in a variety of student activities including Mortar Board, the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, and the OSC Round Table. She was secretary of the Senior Class in 1942-1943. After graduation she worked as a Regional Home Economist for the Live Stock and Meat Board and gave public presentations on meat cookery.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Mary Louise Armstrong Collection consists of materials documenting Armstrong's student years at Oregon State College and her work as a Regional Home Economist for the Live Stock and Meat Board. The collection consists of newspaper clippings and photographs. The news clippings include announcements and news reports of public presentations on meat cookery given by Armstrong and others from the Live Stock and Meat Board. Several of the clippings are from newspapers in New England. The presentations addressed and demonstrated how to select cuts of meat and prepare meat dishes.
The photographs include group photographs of members of Mortar Board and the Alpha Chi Omega sorority. The Mortar Board photos were made by Howells Studio in Corvallis. The collection also includes promotional photos for Armstrong's demonstrations on meat cookery as well as an image of a group of young women in front of a Purina facility, perhaps in St. Louis, Missouri.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Mary Louise Armstrong Collection, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Cooking (Meat)
- Home economists.
- Meat industry and trade.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Women--Oregon--Corvallis--Societies and clubs.
- Corporate Names :
- National Live Stock and Meat Board.
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Howell's Studio. (creator)