• Share:
  • Download/Print:
  • PDF
Search

Collection on the Tregoning Boat Company, 1900-2010

Overview of the Collection

Title
Collection on the Tregoning Boat Company
Dates
1900-2010 (inclusive)
Quantity
1 box, (.42 cubic feet)
Location of Collection
3a.4.7
Collection Number
2010.17 (accession)
Summary
Photographs, papers, and magazines pertaining to the Tregoning Boat Company
Repository
Museum of History & Industry, Sophie Frye Bass Library
Sophie Frye Bass Library
Museum of History & Industry
P.O. Box 80816
Seattle, WA
98108
Telephone: 206-324-1126
Fax: 206-780-1533
library@mohai.org
Access Restrictions
The collection is open to the public by appointment.
Languages
English.

Historical NoteReturn to Top

The Tregoning Boat Company was originally established as the Proctor Boat Company in approximately 1900 by George R. Proctor. In 1904, Proctor sold the company to his brother-in-law Frank Tregoning, who renamed it the Frank Tregoning Boat Company. The company primarily built steel-hulled boats, but also designed and built yachts to order, including the Sans Souci II for D. G. Schmitz, which was later commissioned to serve in World War I. In 1907, the newly renamed Tregoning Boat Company moved from its original location on Elliott Avenue to a location on Seaview Avenue in Ballard. Tregoning’s best-selling boats were lifeboats which were used around the area and on all the Puget Sound ferries. In 1918, the Tregoning Sawmill opened in Ballard Beach, and in 1920, the Tregoning Sash and Door factory opened as well. The factory manufactured the windows and doors for the Olympic Hotel in Seattle and closed in 1926 after a large fire. Jim Tregoning, Frank’s son, took over the ownership of the company in 1936. Under him, Tregoning became the largest West Coast manufacturer of metal lifeboats during World War II. In 1946, the yard was destroyed by arson, including the building containing the wooden boat shop, a truck, a new 26’ boat, and other boats. Tregoning Boat Company became Tregoning Industries in 1945, and designed a new seine fishing boat with a mast design that soon became the industry standard. In 1952, Jim Tregoning began working in management at the Seattle Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Corporation.

Content DescriptionReturn to Top

The collection includes 48 photographs (mostly modern copy prints and photocopies) of both the Tregoning family and boats built by the Tregoning Boat Company; one typed history of the Tregoning Boat Company and the Tregoning family; five articles pertaining to the Tregoning Boat Company; three Tregoning advertisements; two diagrams of Tregoning boats; an informational brochure on the Puget Sound ferry system; a collection of research materials (including computer printouts) pertaining to the company; and three boating magazines from 1928-1936.

Use of the CollectionReturn to Top

Restrictions on Use

The Museum of History & Industry is the owner of the materials in the Sophie Frye Bass Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from MOHAI before any reproduction use. The museum does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners.

Preferred Citation

Collection on the Tregoning Boat Company, Museum of History & Industry, Seattle

Administrative InformationReturn to Top


Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top

The following section contains a detailed listing of the materials in the collection.

Photographs and reproductionsReturn to Top

The photographs are comprised largely of modern copy prints, and also photocopies and a few vintage prints. All items listed below are modern copy prints unless otherwise noted.

Container(s) Description Dates
Folder
1
1: James Tregoning
Written on verso: Owner: Tregoning Boat Company 1936-1946, 1910-1973 (Jim) James Jonathan Tregoning
circa 1930
1
2: James Tregoning
circa 1930
1
3: Bill Tregoning
undated
1
4: Family near bus, possibly James Tregoning family
circa 1930
1
5: Frank Tregoning (1882-1937)
undated
1
6: William Tregoning and Frank Tregoning
Photocopy of 3 snapshots on page.
circa 1910
1
7: Anna Mary Tregoning
Sister of William and James Tregoning
Photocopy
undated
2
8: George Proctor and Frank Tregoning at N&S landing at Smith’s Cove
Vintage print
1900
2
9: Proctor Boat Co. yard
Vintage print
circa 1903
2
10: Tregoning Boat Co. yard
Photocopy
circa 1914-1918
2
11: Tregoning Boat Co. and Tregoning Manufacturing Co. yard
Photocopy
circa 1920
2
12: Tregoning Boat Co. yard
circa 1941-1945
2
13: Jim Tregoning and man at boat yard, Friday Harbor, Washington
Accompanying note: “1959 fire, one building lost and boat that was in service was damaged”
Vintage print
1959
2
14: Tregoning Boat Co. yard
undated
3
15: Tregoning life boat
undated
3
16-17: Men testing a Tregoning life boat Verso: “Note: hand power drive, no oars”
Written on verso: Note: hand power drive, no oars
circa 1940
3
18: Ship MV Garland with Tregoning life boats
undated
3
19: Ship W. T. Preston with Tregoning life boats on display at Anacortes Museum
Color photograph
2010
3
20-24: Ship W. T. Preston with Tregoning life boat at Anacortes Museum
Color photograph
2010
3
24: Truck hauling Tregoning life boats
undated
4
25-26: Sailing ship ‘Coral’ built by William Tregoning Boats, Bellingham, Washington
Vintage print
circa 1940s
4
27-28: Ships Castor and Polaris, built for Hoover Dam
undated
4
29: Two men in Tregoning steel outboard boat
Vintage print
circa 1930s
4
30: Power boat
undated
4
31: Shilshole Bay, 30’ work boat
circa 1945
4
32: Tregoning Boat Company 14’ tender boat
undated
4
33: Tregoning Boat Company 24’ steel whale boat
undated
4
34: Tregoning Boat Company 16’ steel outboard
2 modern copy prints on 1 sheet
undated
4
35: Truck hauling the St. Thomas to the Hoover Dam
1930
4
36: Anna Mary Tregoning on the St. Thomas at the Hoover Dam; men on ship (Watchman?)
2 modern copy prints on 1 sheet
1934
4
37: Sans Souci II
Photocopy
undated
4
38: M. S. New Deal
Caption on photo: Tregoning & Carlson Shipbuilders, Wilmington, Calif
Photocopy
1937
4
39: Philadelphia, naval ship served by the Sans Souci II in World War I
Photocopy
circa 1892
5
40: James Tregoning and unknown men with airplane
On verso: Tregoning Boat Company airplane repair
undated
5
41-47: 12 foot dory at the Center for Wooden Boats, built by Tregoning Boat Co. for J.G. McCurdy
Modern color photographs
circa 2010
5
48: Model lifeboat in museum
Laser print on paper
circa 2010

Assorted papers relating to companyReturn to Top

Container(s) Description Dates
Folder
6
49: Tregoning Boat Company typed history with illustrations, by Frank Tregoning
63 pages
2010
7
50-57: Clippings relating to Tregoning Boat Company
Photocopies
1928-1984
8
58-60: Tregoning Boat Company advertisements
Photocopies
undated
9
61: Assembly diagram for Tregoning Ready-to-Build skiff
Photocopy
undated
9
62: Diagram of Tregoning cruiser
Photocopy
undated
10
63: Drawing of the M. V. Vashon, which held Tregoning life boats
Photocopy
undated
10
64: “Puget Sound and it’s Ferries,” fold-out map of Puget Sound ferry routes
circa 1959
11
65: Letter from Lizah Proctor Webb to Anna Mary Tregoning re: history of Tregoning/Proctor boat yard
Photocopy
1976
12
66-74: Research materials relating to Tregoning Boat Company
circa 2010
13
75: Issue of Motor Boating
1921 June
13
76: Issue of Motor Boating
1928 June
13
77: Issue of Pacific Motor Boat
1936 February