Louise George papers, 1980 PDF
- George, Louise, 1894-1988
- Louise George papers
- 1980 (inclusive)19801980
- 2 sound cassettes (60 min. each, 3 sides); Transcript: 10 pages
- Collection Number
- 3416-001 (Accession No. 3416-001-68)
- Tape recorded interview of a Nooksack who discusses work in the fields picking berries, hops and grapes and work in the cannery. She also discusses knitting socks, social activities, Pow Wows, her conversion to Christianity and its influence on her family, her husband and music
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Open to all users.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Louise George (1894-1988) was a Nooksack. She attended school for only two years and first learned English there. Her father died when she was young. After her mother died, her family married her to her mother's second husband's brother. She was 14 years old. Her husband Richard George died in 1950. He wasn't able to earn enough money to feed the family so Louise worked picking berries, hops and grapes. She tooks her children with her and one daughter died of tuberculosis. She continued to work in the fields, the cannery, and knitting socks after her husband died.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Tape recorded interview conducted by Kathy Bruneau on 18 Jul 1980; tape summary of an interview with Louisa George and Helen Paul conducted by Linda Allen on 22 Oct 1980; partial transcript and index.
George discusses work in the fields picking berries, hops and grapes and work in the cannery. She also discusses knitting socks, social activities, Pow Wows, her conversion to Christianity and its influence on her family. She sings a hymn in [language unknown] and mentions her husband as an Indian dancer who had supernatural powers. The summary of the interview with both George and Paul concerns music.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Some restrictions exist on copying, quotation or publication. Contact Repository for details.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Personal Names :
- Allen, Linda
- Bruneau, Kathy
- George, Louise, 1894-1988--Interviews
- Corporate Names :
- Washington Women's History Project. University of Washington Office