Eugene Barnes and David Dougherty manuscript, 1981 PDF
- Barnes, Eugene BDougherty, David M., 1903-
- Eugene Barnes and David Dougherty manuscript
- 0.25 linear feet, (4 folders)
- Collection Number
- Coll 393
- Eugene Barnes and David Dougherty published an edited work based on an original volume of medieval poetry, Le geste de Garin de Monglane, also known as the Cheltenham Manuscript. The collection consists of a typed, annotated, and edited manuscript of their work, Le Galien de Cheltenham.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Eugene Barnes and David Dougherty edited Le Galien de Cheltenham, an examination of a poem written in medieval French. This book received some unfavorable reviews regarding inaccuracies with Barnes' and Dougherty's Old French translations.
The edited work was based on an original volume of medieval poetry, Le geste de Garin de Monglane, also known as the Cheltenham Manuscript. The manuscript was purchased in 1861 by Sir Thomas Phillips (1792-1872). Le geste was number 26,092 of his collection at Cheltenham. The collection was dispersed over many decades, and much of it went to European national collections, and some came to the U.S.
Le geste was later purchased by the University of Oregon. It contains 458 leaves, 229 vellum folios, and is written in Old French lettres bâtardes, with capitals in gold and colors. It was bound by Sangorski and Sutcliffe, a noted London firm established in 1901 that continues to this day as SSZ Ltd.
The text is a medieval epic poem, containing five segments of the cycle of Guillaume d'Orange.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection consists of a typed, annotated, and edited manuscript of Le Galien de Cheltenham.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Copies of Barnes and Dougherty’s published work are available in the Knight library circulating collection, and also in Special Collections.
[Identification of item], Eugene Barnes and David Dougherty manuscript, Coll 393, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Chansons de geste--History and criticism
- Editors--United States
- Epic poetry, French--History and criticism
- French poetry--To 1500--History and criticism
- Personal Names :
- Barnes, Eugene B.--Manuscripts
- Dougherty, David M., 1903---Manuscripts
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Epic poetry
- Manuscripts for publication