Elwood Evans notebook, 1859-1882 PDF
- Applegate, Jesse A., 1811-1888Evans, Elwood, 1828-1898McLoughlin, John, 1784-1857Saxton, Charles. OregonianVictor, Frances Fuller, 1826-1902
- Elwood Evans notebook
- 1859-1882 (inclusive)18591882
- 0.1 linear feet, (1 folder)
- Collection Number
- A 036
- Elwood Evans (1828-1898) was a lawyer, politician, and historian of the Pacific Northwest. The collection consists of a single notebook intended primarily as source notes for Evans' historical work.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Elwood Evans (1828-1898), born in Philadelphia, went to Oregon Territory in 1851 as deputy collector of customs at Nisqually. From 1859 to 1861, he served as mayor of the newly incorporated town of Olympia, Washington. In addition to his historical work, A History of the Pacific Northwest, he contributed many historical articles to local papers.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The volume was intended as source notes for Evans' historical work. It relates particularly to John McLoughlin, and includes copies of letters by Jesse Applegate and Frances Fuller Victor, and a statement by McLoughlin. The first 37 pages are a transcript of The Oregonian by Charles Saxton (Washington, D.C., 1846).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Elwood Evans notebook, A 036, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Northwest, Pacific--History--Sources
- Oregon Territory--History--Sources
- Personal Names :
- Applegate, Jesse A., 1811-1888--Correspondence
- McLoughlin, John, 1784-1857
- Victor, Frances Fuller, 1826-1902--Correspondence
- Form or Genre Terms :