Murray Warner Essay Contest records, 1923-1936 PDF
- University of Oregon
- Murray Warner Essay Contest records
- 1923-1936 (inclusive)19231936
- 2 linear feet, (2 containers)
- Collection Number
- UA 153
- Gertrude Bass Warner (Mrs. Murray Warner) created the Murray Warner Essay Contest that accepted essays regarding relationships between the West and the East, and awarded a trip to Asia as the prize. The collection (1923-1936) contains essays submitted to the Murray Warner Essay contest and information about the contest.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Gertrude Bass Warner (Mrs. Murray Warner) created the Murray Warner Essay Contest on Asian culture. Warner undertook extensive travels in Asia and helped to establish the Asian Studies departments at the University of Oregon. Students participated in the contest by writing about the relationships between the West and the East and the winner won a trip to Asia.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Collection contains essays submitted to the Murray Warner Essay Contest during the period of 1923-1936.
Collections organized by accession:
As of 2012 there is only one accession.
Accession 10288.A: essays submitted to the Murray Warner Essay Contest , 1923-1936.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Murray Warner Essay Contest records, UA 151, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- American essays--Oregon--Eugene
- East and West
- Education, Higher--Oregon--Eugene
- Literary prizes--Oregon--Eugene
- Universities and colleges--Oregon--Eugene
- Personal Names :
- Warner, Gertrude Bass, 1863-1951
- Warner, Murray, 1869-1920
- Corporate Names :
- Murray Warner Essay Contest (University of Oregon)
- University of Oregon--Awards
- University of Oregon--Records and correspondence
- Geographical Names :
- Asia--Study and teaching (Higher)--Oregon--Eugene
- Form or Genre Terms :