John Whitmer papers, 1831-1846 PDF
- Whitmer, John, 1802-1878
- John Whitmer papers
- 1831-1846 (inclusive)18311846
- 0.25 linear feet
- Collection Number
- ACCN 0274
- The John Whitmer papers (1831-1846) contains a typescript of Whitmer's history of the Mormon church by Pauline Hancock (of the now defunct Church of Christ). Also included is an excerpt from David Whitmer's pamphlet, "An Address to Believers in the Book of Mormon."
- University of Utah Libraries, Special Collections.
Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah
295 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT
- Access Restrictions
Twenty-four hour advanced notice encouraged. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The John Whitmer papers (1831-1846) contains a typescript of Whitmer's history of the Mormon church by Pauline Hancock (of the now defunct Church of Christ). Also included is an excerpt from David Whitmer's pamphlet, "An Address to Believers in the Book of Mormon." John Whitmer (1802-1878) was a significant early member of the Mormon Church. He was scribe to Joseph Smith, one of the "eight witnesses" of the Book of Mormon, the first church historian, editor of the Latter Day Saints' Messenger and Advocate (the second periodical published by the Church) for a time, and assistant president of the Missouri branch of the church. He was excommunicated in March 1838. After the expulsion of the Mormons from Missouri in 1838-1839, Whitmer purchased land at Far West and farmed there until his death in 1878.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
The library does not claim to control copyright for all materials in the collection. An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights as outlined in Title 45 CFR, part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects). For further information, please review the J. Willard Marriott Library’s Use Agreement and Reproduction Request forms.
Collection Name, Collection Number, Box Number, Folder Number. Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, The University of Utah.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Mormon Church--History--19th century
- Personal Names :
- Whitmer, John, 1802-1878--Archives
- Corporate Names :
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History--19th century
- Form or Genre Terms :