Dale Story Scrapbook, 1961-1962 PDF
- Dale Story Scrapbook
- 1961-1962 (inclusive)19611962
- 0.03 cubic foot, including 7 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS Story
- The Dale Story Scrapbook consists of clippings, ephemera, and photographs documenting Story's national cross country championship in 1961 and other Oregon State University track and field athletes and events during 1961-1962. Story attended Oregon State from 1960 to 1965 and won the individual title at the 1961 NCAA Men's Cross Country Championships.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Alumnus and long-distance runner Dale Story won the individual title at the 1961 NCAA Men's Cross Country Championships and in the process guided Oregon State to its first-ever NCAA team title.
A native of Orange, California, Story enrolled at Oregon State University in 1960 and earned a BS in Wildlife Management in 1965. In his national championship race, Story beat six future Olympians as he ran barefoot in 30-degree weather. During his Oregon State career, Story was a four-year letterman, earned track and field All-American honors in 1962 in the 3-mile run, and set 13 course or meet records. Story and his 1961 cross country teammates were inducted into the OSU Sports Hall of Fame in 1991.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Dale Story Scrapbook consists of clippings, ephemera, and photographs documenting Story's national cross country championship in 1961 as well as other Oregon State University track and field athletes and events in 1961-1962, including sprinter Norm Monroe. The bulk of the scrapbook consists of newspaper clippings. Several ephemeral items are part of the scrapbook including a program for the Oregon State vs University of Washington dual meet in Corvallis in 1962. The photographs include one b/w print of Story with his NCAA championship trophy and 6 color snapshots taken at meets in the spring of 1962 (not held at Oregon State).
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Track and field athletes--Oregon.
- Track and field coaches--Oregon.
- Personal Names :
- Monroe, Norm.
- Story, Dale Franklin, 1942-
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State University--Track and field.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.