Oral history interview with Rivy Kletenik, 2017 PDF
- Kletenik, Rivy
- Oral history interview with Rivy Kletenik
- 2017 (inclusive)20172017
- 3 digital audio files (Waveform Audio File format) and 1 computer file (Microsoft Word format)
- Collection Number
- 6258 (Accession No. 6258-001)
- Oral history of a Jewish educator and writer from Seattle
- University of Washington Libraries, Special Collections
University of Washington Libraries
- Access Restrictions
No restrictions on access.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Rebecca Miriam Poupko Kletenik (known as "Rivy") was born on June 15, 1958 to a prominent Hassidic family in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. She majored in Judaic Studies at Touro College for Women and was an advocate for women studying all texts, starting a successful petition to have the first Talmud studies class for women at the college. Later, with her husband and four children, Rivy moved to Seattle where her husband Rabbi Moshe Kletenik was hired by Bikur Cholim Machzikay Hadath. She has worked at the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle, where she was an educator for 9 years. She has also been active in the Florence Melton Adult Mini School, now called Limmud. At Seattle Hebrew Academy, she has served as a teacher coach, the Judaics principal, and ultimately Head of School. In addition to her educator and administrator roles, she has also written for Jewish publications in the Seattle area.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Oral history interview of Rivy Kletenik conducted by Nancy Blase over two sessions held on June 23 and July 27, 2017.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Listen to the audio recording and view the transcript of this interview on the Libraries Digital Collections site.
Creator's copyrights transferred to the University of Washington Libraries Special Collections.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Jewish religious education--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Jewish women--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Personal Papers/Corporate Records (University of Washington)
- Rabbis' spouses--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Religious education of girls
- Teachers--Washington (State)--Seattle
- Personal Names :
- Kletenik, Rivy Poupko--Interviews
- Corporate Names :
- Seattle Hebrew Academy (Seattle, Wash
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Blase, Nancy, interviewer (interviewer.)