Sachs Bros. and Reames Bros. accounts ledger, 1874-1875; 1881-1884 PDF
- Sachs Bros. (Jacksonville, Or.)
- Sachs Bros. and Reames Bros. accounts ledger
- 1874-1875; 1881-1884 (inclusive)18741884
- 0.25 linear feet, (1 volume)
- Collection Number
- B 142
- Lippman Sachs and his brothers immigrated to American in 1861 and settled in Jacksonville, Oregon where they operated a dry goods store until 1875; the Reames Brothers then purchased the building and continued a general store until 1886. The collection (1874-1875; 1881-1884)) contains a Sachs Bros. ledger account book which also includes account pages of the Reames Bros. store.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Lippman Sachs was born in Germany in 1837, and he and his brothers immigrated to American in 1861, and settled in Jacksonville, Oregon.
"The dry goods store operated in the 1861 brick building by Louis and Solomon Sachs was one of the most successful commercial ventures in Jacksonville, with income second only to that of C.C. Beekman's Bank. In 1875, they decided to sell their business and leave town and by 1876, the last of their remaining goods were sold at auction.
J.H. Howard and the the Reames Brothers purchased the location and continued a general store here until 1886. At that time, Thomas Reames and John F. White operated a partnership selling general merchandise into the mid 1890s."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection (1874-1875) contains a Sachs Bros. ledger account book which also includes account pages of the Reames Bros. store.
The account book is organized alphabetically by name. On pages 118-700 of this volume is the ledger account of Reames Bros., Jacksonville, Oregon, 1881-1884.
Both Sachs and Reames dealt in dry goods and sundries.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Sachs Bros. and Reames Bros. accounts ledger, B 142, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Business enterprises--Oregon
- Corporate Names :
- Sachs Bros. (Jacksonville, Or.)
- Geographical Names :
- Jacksonville (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Account books
- Account books--Oregon--Jacksonville