Hiromi Lorraine Sakata recordings: Music of the Hazarajat (Thesis Tapes), 1967 PDF
- Sakata, Hiromi Lorraine
- Hiromi Lorraine Sakata recordings: Music of the Hazarajat (Thesis Tapes)
- 4 items : EC - 3 cassettes (TDK SA-60); WD - 5 CDs (digital, stereo); WD (mp3) - 1 CD (mp3 files); Duration: 2:22:27; additional documentation - copy of "Index of Recorded Examples" from thesis; copy of collector's notes; typed key to examples; corresp. re: MP3 copies.
- Collection Number
- Tapes accompany University of Washington M.A. thesis by Hiromi Lorraine Sakata; all items recorded by her in Afghanistan.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
From her professional bio:
"Hiromi Lorraine Sakata is the author of Music in the Mind: The Concepts of Music and Musician in Afghanistan (Kent State University Press, 1983 and reissued by Smithsonian Institution Press, 2002) and Afghanistan Encounters with Music and Friends (Mazda Publications 2013). She is producer of Ustad Mohammad Omar: Virtuoso from Afghanistan (Smithsonian Folkways, 2002). Her other publications focus on devotional music of Pakistan, in particular, the music at Sufi shrines in Pakistan. Sakata taught in the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington for twenty years before joining the UCLA faculty. She was made an Honorary Member of the Society for Ethnomusicology in 2012."
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Archives copies made from UW Music Listening Center reel copies (numbered TT5-TT9) (7.5 ips, full-track, 30 minutes each); work discs (WDs) made 1/2006 from compact disc copies in Music Listening Center.
Contents: See "Index of Recorded Examples" in thesis (or doc file) for item descriptions.
Collection accompanies M.A. thesis: Music of the Hazarajat by Hiromi Lorraine Sakata (University of Washington 1968)
For scanned copy of thesis see link from "Documentation" field (also available in collection 2001007); for paper copy see UW Music Library (M1/Th17226)
Compact disc containing MP3 files of collection contents acquired by Archives May 2006.
Documentation: LINK TO THESIS
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Geographical Names :
- Afghanistan--Asia--Central Asia
- Hazarajat (Afghanistan)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound recordings