Laurel Sercombe concert recordings: Ephat Mujuru and Jose Gutierrez, 1985-04-03 PDF
- Sercombe, Laurel; University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
- Laurel Sercombe concert recordings: Ephat Mujuru and Jose Gutierrez
- 5 items : 85-18.1 OT - 1 vct (digital audio rec.) (VHS, sp, stereo); 85-18.2 OT - 1 vct (video rec.) (VHS, sp, stereo, color); 85-18.3-4 EC - 2 reels (7.5 ips, 2 tr. stereo, 7"); 85-18.1 WT - 1 DAT (digital, stereo); Duration: 00:50:00
- Collection Number
- Concert recorded in Meany Theater, University of Washington, 4/3/85; concert shared with Jose Gutierrez.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Laurel Sercombe has been the Archivist for the Ethnomusicology Program at the University of Washington since 1982. She has co-produced a series of music recordings with Northwest Folklife, lectured for classes in Ethnomusicology, Library and Information Science, and American Indian Studies, and designed and taught a course on sound archiving. In 1998 she received a pre-doctoral Smithsonian Research Fellowship and in 2001 received her Ph.D. with the dissertation And Then It Rained: Power and Song in Western Washington Coast Salish Myth Narratives. She is a member of the Music Library Association, the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and the Society for Ethnomusicology, for which she served as Current Discographer 1992–2000 and Treasurer 2000–2004. She serves on the boards of Jack Straw Productions and Northwest Heritage Resources. In 2013 she organized and hosted "Sounds of the World," a series of six programs for UWTV featuring film footage from the Robert Garfias Collection in the Ethnomusicology Archives.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Audio recording by Laurel Sercombe with Panasonic NV-8410 VCR, Sony PCM F-1 digital audio processor, Neumann mics (KM-84s) (O.R.T.F. pattern); video recording by Kay Norton with Panasonic PV-6110 VCR
The videorecording of the 2nd half of the concert, by Jose Gutierrez, follows on this tape. A copy is filed under NU1 Mexico/85-19.2 EC (vct); a DVD copy of the original videotape (85-18.2, pt. 2) was produced 3/2013 and is numbered 85-19.2 WD so as to keep the Gutierrez material together in that collection.
Reels (85-18.3-4 EC) are analog dubs of digital original (45:22, 4:30)
Performers: Ephat Mujuru/mbira, voice; Laura Chiorah-Dye/hosho, voice; Samuel Farai Chiorah/drums, voice.
Identifications provided by Claire Jones 10/94.
Documentation: Press release, concert program
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
1 item : Tracks: 8
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Folk songs, Shona
- Mbira music
- Shona Music
- Shona--Africa--Southern Africa
- Geographical Names :
- Seattle (Wash.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Sound Recordings
- Other Creators :
- Personal Names :
- Chiorah, Lorah (performer)
- Chiorah, Samuel Farai (performer)
- Mujuru, Ephat (performer)