Amy Cyrus Sewing Book and Photographs, 1907-1926 PDF
- Cyrus, Amy, 1883-1968.
- Amy Cyrus Sewing Book and Photographs
- 1907-1926 (inclusive)19071926
- 0.06 cubic foot, including 9 photographs, (2 boxes)
- Collection Number
- MSS Cyrus
- Amy Cyrus was a household science student and nurse at Oregon Agricultural College. This collection consists of her sewing sample book and photographs.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Amy Cyrus, born January 6th, 1883 in Crabtree, Oregon, attended OAC as a household science student during the 1904-1905, 1906-1907, and 1907-1908 academic years. She graduated as a Registered Nurse from the Good Samaritan Training School for Nurses in 1914. From 1914 to 1917, she worked as a private nurse in Corvallis. In February 1917, she was hired as the first nurse in the OAC's health service. During her employment at OAC, she completed two courses in radiology; both courses were held at the School of Radiology in Portland. This allowed her to work as both a general nurse and x-ray technician; these were positions she held until she left in 1930. Cyrus died in Benton County (Oregon) in 1968.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
This collection consists of a sewing sample book and photographs.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Amy Cyrus Sewing Book and Photographs, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: Sewing Sample Book, 1907Return to Top
Container(s): Box 1
The sewing book, which contains hand-stitching examples of Cyrus' work, was created for a sewing class at Oregon Agricultural College.
Series II: Photographs, 1914-1926Return to Top
The photographs are primarily of Cyrus and include her graduation photo from nursing school, the 1921 Baptist parsonage and official staff, and images of the OAC Health Services Building (currently the Women's Center).
P105:001: Nursing school graduation photograph
P105:002: Cyrus, Stewart, Matthis, and Irvine
P105:003: Dr. Irvine, Amy Cyrus, Minnie Sievers, Ruth Stewart, Mabel Darelius, and Dr. Matthis
P105:004: Baptist parsonage and official staff. Probable location was Tenth Street and Jackson Avenue, Corvallis, Oregon. Pictured: Ham, Harstock, Bell, Cyrus, Jones, Townsend, Locke, Waldo, Walter, Burt, Christenson, Scott, Williamson, Wood, Tucker, and Maynard
P105:005: Old OAC Health Service building
P105:006: Examination room in the old Health Service building: Cyrus, Dr. Matthis
P105:007: Cyrus, Mabel Darelius, and unidentified Health Service secretary
P105:008: Dr. Matthis, Mabel Darelius, Cyrus, Dr. Irvine
P105:009: Benton Hall
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Medical care--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Home economics--Study and teaching--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Home economics students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon Agricultural College. College Heath Service.
- Oregon Agricultural College. School of Home Economics.
- Geographical Names :
- Corvallis (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Sewing (Visual Works).