First Lutheran Church, Poulsbo, Washington, Records, 1886-2012 PDF
- First Lutheran Church (Poulsbo, Wash.)
- First Lutheran Church, Poulsbo, Washington, Records
- 1886-2012 (inclusive)18862012
- 2 files
- Collection Number
- OPVELCA 7a5_355 (collection)
- Collection contains the records of First Lutheran Church in Poulsbo, Washington.
- Pacific Lutheran University, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue South
- Access Restrictions
Collection is available for research
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.Processing funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission
Historical NoteReturn to Top
On February 21, 1886 the Fordefjord Norwegian Evangelical Congregation of Poulsbo was organized with 21 charter members. The next year marked the arrival of the first permanent pastor and the building of the first church on the present site, land donated by Jorgen Eliason. In 1898 a synodical controversy developed which caused some members to withdraw from the Fordefjord congregation and organize the Lutheran Free Church of Paulsbo, later known as Grace Lutheran. This congregation has since merged with Vinland Lutheran of Poulsbo. In 1917 Fordefjord became affiliated with the United Lutheran Church, later called the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. Two other name changes took place in the 1940s, beginning with the change from Fordefjord to First Lutheran in 1943, followed three years later by a synodical change to the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Affiliation with the American Lutheran Church occurred in 1960 at the time of the merger.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
(folder #1) This folder contains a congregational historical record, a pamphlet encouraging giving towards a new church building, two bulletins from their 75th anniversary, two booklets from their 50th anniversary, a booklet from their 75th anniversary year, a booklet from their dedication in 1960, a pamphlet with plans for the new building, various letters, an annual report from 1966, a booklet from their 80th anniversary, a booklet from their 90th anniversary, a congregational statistical record, newspaper articles (and copies) about their church.
(folder #2) This folder contains a letter from Milton Nesvig, two books from their 100th anniversary celebration, a supplement to the 100th anniversary book.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Archives and Special Collections Department at Pacific Lutheran University. Copyright resides with the creator of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the University Archivist. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder
From the First Lutheran Church, Poulsbo, Washington, Records, OPVELCA7a5_355, Archives and Special Collections, ELCA Region I Archives, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98447
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Church anniversaries
- Lutherans--Washington (State)--History
- Personal Names :
- Brono, John H., 1918-1921
- Eide, Frithjof, 1955-1967
- Mueller, Harry, 1972-1975
- Sandvig, Erik J., 1903-1909
- Slettedahl, Erick B., 1898-1899
- Syrdal, Peter R., 1899-1902
- Tengesdal, Peter N., 1967-?
- Floren, Lars J., 1929-1951
- Karlstad, Alfred, 1951-1955
- Langeland, Henrick, 1892-1893
- Lunde, Alexander M., 1923-1929
- Nilsen, Nils G., 1886
- Norby, Johan T., 1909-1918
- Shane, Alison M.W.
- Shane, Kent R.
- Tollefson, Ingebrigt, 1887-1891
- Tollefson, Otto C., 1977-1985
- Wogter, Hans B., 1921-1923
- Corporate Names :
- Lutheran Free Church
- Norwegian Lutheran Church of America
- American Lutheran Church
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--History
- Evangelical Lutheran Church--Southwestern Washington Synod
- United Lutheran Church in America
- Geographical Names :
- Poulsbo (Wash.)
- Occupations :