UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Christopher Alan Waterman recordings: 78 rpm African Records, Undated PDF
- Waterman, Christopher Alan, 1954-
- UW Ethnomusicology Archives audio recordings: Christopher Alan Waterman recordings: 78 rpm African Records
- 65 phonograph records : 65 discs (78 rpm, mono, 10"); email correspondence with collector.
- Collection Number
- Records collected by Christopher Waterman during field research in Nigeria; most records given to him by the son of Mr. Frank Ebunluwa Johnson, who originally collected them.
- University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives
University of Washington
- Access Restrictions
Access is restricted.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Christopher Waterman is an anthropologist, ethnomusicologist, teacher, and musician who specializes in the study of music and culture in Africa and the Americas. Since 1996, Waterman has been a professor at UCLA in the Department of World Arts and Cultures/Dance. Prior to joining UCLA, he served on the visiting faculties of Bowdoin College and the University of Oslo and was an associate professor of music at the University of Washington, where he served as head of the ethnomusicology program. He holds a B.A. in composition and electric bass from Berklee College of Music and a Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Waterman also studied African languages and cultures at Yale University and the University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
UW Ethnomusicology Archives record numbers assigned: 373-437.
Disc condition varies from fair to poor (several broken).
Note from C. Waterman re: provenance of collection: "The bulk of the collection was given to me by the son of Mr. Frank Ebunluwa Johnson, a Yoruba man who worked as a civil servant during the colonial era. He was a big music fan and kept all of his old records. After the elder Mr. Johnson died, his son (a professor at the university of Ibadan) said he had no use for the records and gave them to me for safekeeping" (email 12/6/97).
Documentation: Photocopies of disc labels
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Geographical Names :
- Akan--Africa--Western Africa
- Hausa--Africa--Western Africa
- West Africa
- Yoruba--Africa--Western Africa