Clarence Edmund Bennett papers, 1852-1906 PDF
- Bennett, Clarence Edmund, 1833-1902
- Clarence Edmund Bennett papers
- 1852-1906 (inclusive)18521906
- 1 reel microfilm
- Collection Number
- Mss 039
- Clarence Bennett was a West Point graduate and career Army office who served in the frontier West. The collection contains his correspondence, diaries kept at West Point, and other materials.
- University of Montana, Mansfield Library, Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections
Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr. #9936
- Access Restrictions
Researchers must use collection in accordance with the policies of Archives and Special Collections, the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, and the University of Montana-Missoula.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Clarence Edmund Bennett was born in 1833. He entered West Point Military Academy in 1851 and graduated in 1855. He was a career Army officer and saw duty almost exclusively in Western frontier assignments. He spent time in California, Minnesota, Texas, and the Dakota Territory. By 1880 Bennett and his wife, Siotha, had four children, Willie C., Irvine E., Ida, and Daisy. Bennett retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1897 and died in 1902 of apoplexy.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains Bennett's correspondence relative to his military career, the diaries he kept at West Point, and miscellaneous materials, which include lists of West Point classmates and whether they were living or dead in 1898, and his wife's application for a widow's pension.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. and any other applicable statutes. Copyright not transferred to The University of Montana.
[Name of document or photograph number], Clarence E. Bennett Papers, Archives and Special Collections, Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, The University of Montana-Missoula.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
Series I: Correspondence, 1859-1905Return to Top
Container(s): Reel 1
Series II: Diaries, 1852-1855Return to Top
|1||March 15, 1852-June 16, 1853|
|1||March 19, 1854-June 13, 1855|
Series III: Miscellany, 1898-1906Return to Top
Container(s): Reel 1
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Frontier and pioneer life --West (U.S.)
- Military cadets--New York (State)--West Point
- Military cadets--New York (State)--West Point--Diaries
- Corporate Names :
- United States.--Army--Officers--Correspondence
- United States Military Academy--Students
- United States Military Academy--Students--Diaries
- Geographical Names :
- West (U.S.)--History, Military--19th century
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Diaries--New York (State)--West Point
- Occupations :
- Soldiers--United States