James Willard Schultz Letters, 1915-1916 PDF
- Schultz, James Willard, 1859-1947
- James Willard Schultz Letters
- 2 items
- Collection Number
- Collection 2307, MtBC, us (collection)
- The James Willard Schultz Letters consist of two letters, postmarked Greer, Apache County, Arizona, from Schultz to Daniel S. Gage, Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri, apparently in answer to Gage's request for information on Blackfeet Indians and characters in Schultz's books.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Historical NoteReturn to Top
James Willard Schultz (1859-1947) lived in and wrote about the northwestern portion of Montana now included within the Blackfeet Reservation and Glacier National Park. In 1877, at the age of 18, he traveled from his birthplace in Boonville, New York to Fort Benton, Montana Territory. He became interested in American Indians, and lived for many years with the Blackfeet Indians as an accepted member of their nation. Drawing upon his experiences on the western frontier he later wrote thrilling and colorful books and articles to make his living as an author. His success was notable in his own time, and many of his books remain in print. Dr. Daniel S. Gage was a graduate of the University of Wooster, Wooster, Ohio, and later was employed by Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Two letters, postmarked Greer, Apache County, Arizona, from Schultz to Daniel S. Gage, Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri, apparently in answer to Gage's request for information on Blackfeet Indians and characters in Schultz's books.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Authors-North America
- Blackfeet Indians (Dakota)-Blackfoot Indians (Dakota)
- Siksika Indians
- Personal Names :
- Gage, Daniel S-Correspondence