Harold A. Rands papers, 1906-1941 PDF
- Rands, Harold A. (Harold Alva), 1871-1952
- Harold A. Rands papers
- 1906-1941 (inclusive)19061941
- 8.5 linear feet, (17 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 089
- Harold A. Rands (1871-1952) was a civil engineer who superintended hydroelectric installations, was in charge of power and flood control surveys on the Columbia River and tributaries for the U. S. Corp of Engineers, and served as senior engineer for the construction of the Bonneville Dam and powerhouse complex. The collection contains field diaries, correspondence, reports, project files including Columbia river and Bonneville Dam projects, and photographs.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Additional Reference Guides
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Harold A. Rands (1871-1952) was a civil engineer. He superintended hydroelectric installations for various firms, including Portland Electric Power Co., Washington Water Power Co., and North Coast Power Co. From 1929-1935 he was in charge of power and flood control surveys on the Columbia River and tributaries for the U.S. Corp of Engineers. He also served as senior engineer for the construction of the Bonneville Dam and powerhouse complex.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains field diaries, correspondence, reports, project files including Columbia River and Bonneville dam projects, photographs, and a few personal files.
Rands' field diaries span his career from 1906-1941 with few lapses. Personal files that include correspondence, photographs, writings and notes are filed after the diaries.
Project files (1913-1925) are titled by project and arranged in rough chronological order. In addition to smaller projects Rands' worked on such as the Hammon Consolidated Gold Fields in Alaska, there is a large section of correspondence, reports and notes on Portland Electric Power Company's "Oak Grove Project." This project involved the construction of a system of dams and powerhouses on the Clackamas and Oak Grove rivers to supply power for Portland. The Oak Grove files include five volumes of progress reports with photographs, preliminary siting reports and a file of forecasted future power costs (1924).
Willamette River Survey files (1935-1937) contain construction cost information, flood control, irrigation, reservoir sites, and reservoir sites, railroad, and highway revisions. An organizational chart is filed at the beginning of box 13 that provides name identification for the correspondence folders which immediately follow.
The Columbia River and Tributaries Survey files (1932-1935) comprise materials on Bonneville dam construction including specifications for dam construction, powerhouse and locks, relocation of the railroad, a survey of grout and drainage pipe installation, preliminary traffic surveys of the river, background notes and computations, and surveys of tributary rivers such as the Deschutes and the Snake.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], Harold A. Rands papers, Ax 089, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Civil engineers--Oregon.
- Civil engineers--United States.
- Dams--Oregon--Design and construction
- Hydroelectric power plants--Oregon--Design and construction
- Hydroelectric power plants--United States--Design and construction
- Personal Names :
- Rands, Harold A. (Harold Alva), 1871-1952
- Rands, Harold A. (Harold Alva), 1871-1952--Correspondence
- Corporate Names :
- Portland Electric Power Company.
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers.
- Geographical Names :
- Bonneville Dam (Or. and Wash.)
- Columbia River--Power utilization
- Columbia River--Surveys
- Willamette River (Or.)--Surveys
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Field notes.