Wilson H. Foote Photographs, 1948-1955 PDF
- Foote, Wilson H.
- Wilson H. Foote Photographs
- 1948-1955 (inclusive)19481955
- 0.15 cubic foot, including 241 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- P 268
- The Wilson H. Foote Photographs consist of color slides taken by Foote during his early years at Oregon State College. The images depict the Oregon State College campus, students, and athletic events; agricultural scenes; Oregon landscapes and landmarks; and landscapes of western North America. Foote was a faculty member in farm crops and administrator in the Agricultural Experiment Station from 1948 until his retirement in 1984.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Wilson H. Foote joined the faculty of Oregon State College in 1948 as an Assistant Agronomist in the Farm Crops Department and began the first wheat breeding experiments at Oregon State. He became Assistant Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station in 1960 and Associate Director in 1971. Foote retired from Oregon State University in 1984 as Professor of Crop Science and Associate Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station. Foote died in Corvallis in 1994.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Wilson H. Foote Photographs consist of color slides taken by Foote during his early years at Oregon State College from the late 1940s through the mid-1950s. Many of the photographs were taken by Foote during his work-related travels throughout Oregon and the west. The images depict the Oregon State College campus, students, and athletic events; agriculture and forestry; Oregon landscapes and landmarks; and landscapes of western North America.
The campus photographs include images of Gill Coliseum, completed and under construction; the Memorial Union; snow on campus; Parker Stadium; football games at Bell Field; the crew team on the Willamette River in Corvallis; the marching band; and rally squad. Of particular note are images of an Oregon State vs University of Oregon football game at Bell Field with card stunts being performed in the background. The photos also include images of the KOAC transmitter facility north of Corvallis and the construction of the heating tunnels on campus.
The agriculture and forestry photos depict agricultural research facilities and researchers in the field; flowers and fields of gladiolus and iris; rhododendrons; wheat cultivation and harvesting; a cotton field; forests; and logging operations.
The collection includes images of a many Oregon landscapes and landmarks including the Oregon coast, Timberline Lodge, the Oregon capitol building, Native Americans fishing in the Columbia Basin (perhaps Celilo Falls?), Crater Lake, Silver Creek Falls, and the Albany Timber Carnival. Of particular note are images of the effects of a flood, perhaps the Vanport Flood in 1948.
Images of landscapes and landmarks in Utah, Montana, California, British Columbia, and Alberta are also part of the collection.
The color slides include items in glass and paper mounts; all are 35 mm.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Wilson H. Foote Photographs (P 268), Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College buildings--Oregon--Corvallis.
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College--Buildings.
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Timberline Lodge (Mount Hood, Or.)
- Geographical Names :
- Pacific Coast (Or.)
- Willamette River (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :