Lawrence L. Brown Collection, 1948-2002 PDF
- Brown, L. L. (Lawrence L.), 1928-
- Lawrence L. Brown Collection
- 1948-2002 (inclusive)19482002
- 0.15 cubic feet, including 41 photographs, (1 box)
- Collection Number
- MSS BrownLL
- The Lawrence L. Brown Collection consists of materials assembled by Larry Brown documenting his student years at Oregon State College and alumni activities. Brown earned a BS in geology from Oregon State in 1952.
- Oregon State University Libraries, Special Collections and Archives Research Center
Special Collections and Archives Research Center
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
Lawrence Leroy (Larry) Brown attended Oregon State College from 1948 until 1952, when he completed a BS degree in geology. Brown was a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity and remained active in alumni activities after his graduation. He married Frances Robson in 1953 and worked as a mineralogist and economic geologist with the Bureau of Mines in Albany, Oregon, until his retirement in 1988.
Larry Brown was born in Walla Walla, Washington, on April 1, 1928. He graduated from Grant High School in Portland, Oregon, and served in the U.S. Navy for two years before enrolling at Oregon State. Brown died in Albany, Oregon, on November 3, 2003.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The Lawrence L. Brown Collection consists of materials assembled by Larry Brown that document his student years at Oregon State College in the late 1940s and early 1950s and his participation in alumni activities. The collection includes newspaper clippings; student registration cards, receipts, and ephemera; dance cards; fraternity and alumni publications; and photographs. The publications include a commencement program, alumni publications of the Oregon State chapter (Gamma Mu) of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity, and a 50th reunion booklet for the Class of 1952 prepared in 2002. This booklet includes a biographical entry for Brown and other graduates of the class of 1952.
The photographs consist primarily of group photographs of Brown and his fraternity brothers at dances, parties, and other special events. Group photographs of reunion attendees are also included. Most of the photographs are black-and-white prints; several color prints are also included. Portrait photographs of Brown and of Brown with his wife are part of the collection.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Lawrence L. Brown Collection, Oregon State University Archives, Corvallis, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- College students--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Greek letter societies--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Student activities--Oregon--Corvallis.
- Corporate Names :
- Oregon State College. Class of 1952.
- Oregon State College--Students.
- Oregon State University--Alumni and alumnae.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Photographic prints.
- Other Creators :
- Corporate Names :
- Beta Theta Pi. Gamma Mu Chapter. (creator)