Mamie Ader Johnson Letter, 1925 November 25 PDF
- Johnson, Mamie Ader, d. 1967
- Mamie Ader Johnson Letter
- 1925 November 251925112519251125
- 1 item
- Collection Number
- Collection 2487, MtBC, us (collection)
- The Mamie Ader Johnson Letter relates the life she is leading on the homestead. Topics include rending lard, butchering hogs, the crops, activities, visits, having a radio, and local gossip.
- Montana State University Library, Merrill G. Burlingame Special Collections
Montana State University-Bozeman Library
Merrill G Burlingame Special Collections
P.O. Box 173320
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Elmer Johnson moved to Benchland (Judith Basin County) Montana from Maitland, Missouri in 1910 to establish a homestead with his sons Floyd, 16, and his brother Author. Another son, Earl, and a daughter, Ethel Metcalfe, followed later. Mamie Ader married Floyd M. Johnson in Iowa in 1918. The couple made their home and farmed in the Benchland area until 1948 when they moved to Lewistown, Montana.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
Mamie's letter to a relative or friend George Bender in Missouri at Thanksgiving time relates the life she is leading on the homestead. It includes mention of rending lard, butchering hogs, the crops and Floyd's activities. She describes visits from neighbors and relatives which she attributes to the fact that they have a radio. Mamie also indulges in local gossip about the activities of people of the neighborhood - who is in the hospital, who is traveling on Christmas, who has changed jobs or bought a new business. She also describes items that are not available in Benchland to George and requests a style of hat for Floyd.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Farm life-Montana-Benchland
- Farmers' spouses-Montana-Benchland-Correspondence
- Women-Montana-Benchland-Social life and customs
- Women-Montana-Benchland-Social conditions
- Personal Names :
- Bender, George-Correspondence
- Johnson, Floyd M., d. 1964
- Geographical Names :
- Benchland (Mont.)