LeGrande Rich Humphreys papers, 1912-1968 PDF
- Humphreys, LeGrande Rich, 1884-1970
- LeGrande Rich Humphreys papers
- 1912-1968 (inclusive)19121968
- 8 boxes, (3.75 linear ft.)
- Collection Number
- USU_COLL MSS 36
- Correspondence, personal papers, and financial records; material dealing with the Charles C. Rich family, a biography of Emeline Grover Rich and family reunion materials; material concerning classes taught by Humpherys at USAC, the Future Farmers of America organization, the Utah State Alumni Association, and placement and evaluation of vocational education student teachers. The remaining items deal with Humphreys' activities in the LDS Church, including High Priest Quorum lesson materials and Sunday School lesson materials, and writings and publications collected by Humphreys, including location of wells and springs in Cache Valley.
- Utah State University, Merrill-Cazier Library, Special Collections and Archives Division
Special Collections & Archives
Utah State University
- Access Restrictions
Open to public research.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
Biographical NoteReturn to Top
LeGrande Rich Humphreys was born on January 28, 1884 at Paris, Idaho, the son of Hyrum T. and Caroline W. Humphreys.
He was a graduate of Bear Lake Academy and went on to graduate from Utah State Agricultural College in 1912. He was a professor of Agriculture and was made an emeritus professor in 1950.
Humpherys was very active in the Future Farmers of America organization in Utah. He served for two terms as president of the American Vocational Association and also was vice president of this organization for two years. He was also the state supervisor and head teacher trainer in agricultural education. He served as president of the USU Alumni Association. He was also very active in civic affairs which included his chairmanship of the Cache County Republican Party. He also served on the Utah Public School Survey Commission in 1953 and on the Utah Conference of Education in 1954.
In 1957 Professor Humphreys received the Distinguished Service Award from USU and an honorary service award from the American Farmer Association.
Humphreys did some writings in the area of agricultural education including "The Early Development of Vocational Education in Agriculture in Utah."
He was married to Jannett Wright. He died on January 27, 1970.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
These papers contain LeGrande Rich Humpherys' LDS church materials, correspondence, personal papers, financial accounts, his work as a teacher at Utah State Agricultural College, his work in vocational agriculture, and his writings upon the subject of vocational education. There are also contained in this collection family records and reunions of the Charles C. Rich family. There are various materials dealing with the Future Farmers of America inside the state of Utah and nationwide. This collection also contains writings and other materials that were collected by Humpherys.
This collection can be useful to anyone interested in the life of Professor Humpherys. It could be used by persons interested in the Future Farmers of America organization and vocational education. This collection would also be useful to anyone interested in the Charles C. Rich family.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Utah State University Libraries, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
LeGrande Rich Humphreys papers, 1912-1968. (COLL MSS 36). Utah State University. Special Collections and Archives Department.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Detailed Description of the CollectionReturn to Top
|1||Correspondence (1929-1967), Financial records of compensation received at Utah State University||1912-1954|
|2||Charles C. Rich Family Association correspondence and materials|
|3||Classes taught by Humpherys and vocational education materials|
|4-6||Future Farmers of America correspondence (1929-1967), financial records (1929-1936), and related materials|
|6||Utah State Alumni Association correspondence (1925-1967), financial records (1941-1966), and related materials|
|7||Writings and published work; LDS Church materials, including High Priest Quorum lesson materials and Sunday School lesson materials|
|8||Irrigation, location of wells and springs in Cache Valley; collected articles and pamphlets|
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Mormon Church--Apostles--Education.
- Mormon Church--Education.
- Mormon pioneers--Utah--Biography.
- Mormon women--Utah--Biography.
- Springs--Cache Valley (Utah and Idaho)
- Women pioneers--Utah--Biography.
- Personal Names :
- Humphreys, LeGrande Rich, 1884-1970.
- Rich, Charles C. (Charles Coulson), 1809-1883.
- Rich, Emeline Grover, 1831-1917.
- Corporate Names :
- Future Farmers of America. Utah Association.
- Utah State University. Alumni Association.
- Utah State University--Faculty--Correspondence.
- Family Names :
- Rich family.