Wallace Ulysses Douglas papers, 1899-1937 PDF
- Douglas, Wallace Ulysses, 1868-1936
- Wallace Ulysses Douglas papers
- 1899-1937 (inclusive)18991937
- 5.0 linear feet, (4 containers)
- Collection Number
- Ax 522
- Wallace Ulysses Douglas (1868-1936) moved to Coos Bay, Oregon in 1890, worked for the Coast Mail, read law with John A. Gray, was admitted to the bar in 1898, and practiced law in the Coos Bay area thereafter. The collection contains business, legal, and political correspondence, law office ledgers, and records of five Oregon businesses that Douglas provided legal counsel for or was a shareholder: American Bank, Coos Bay Home Telephone Co., German-American Hospital Association, Home Mortgage Co., and Smith River Transportation Co.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
Wallace Ulysses Douglas (1868-1936) was born in Detroit, Michigan. He moved to Coos Bay, Oregon in 1890 and for a time worked for the Coast Mail. He read law with John A. Gray, was admitted to the bar in 1898, and practiced law in the Coos Bay area thereafter.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains business, legal, and political correspondence, law office ledgers, and records of five Oregon businesses that Douglas provided legal counsel for or was a shareholder: American Bank, Coos Bay Home Telephone Co., German-American Hospital Association, Home Mortgage Co., and Smith River Transportation Co. The correspondence includes files on the Coos County Bar Association, Joseph H. Milner, Everett Mingus, Cornelia Tower, Matthew Volney, and Edgar W. Wright.
A large portion of political correspondence consists of correspondence with Willis C. Hawley (1918-1932) and letters relating to the Charles Hall for Governor Club, 1930.
The law office ledgers were kept between 1899 and 1926.
Local business records included in the collection are:
American Bank of Marshfield, which contains articles of incorporation, minutes, stock books, a ledger, and correspondence, 1923-1931 (the assets of the bank were sold to the Coos Bay National Bank in 1931);
Coos Bay Home Telephone Co., containing incorporation records and minutes, 1908-1914;
German-American Hospital Association of Marshfield, Oregon that consists of incorporation records and minutes, 1907-1908;
Home Mortgage Co. of Marshfield, Oregon (originally the Home Trust Co.) that contains incorporation records, minutes, ledgers, 1908-1937;
Smith River Transportation Co. of Marshfield, Oregon, which consists of incorporation records, 1927.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
[Identification of item], Wallace Ulysses Douglas papers Ax 522, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Banks and banking--Oregon
- Personal Names :
- Douglas, Wallace Ulysses, 1868-1936
- Geographical Names :
- Coos Bay (Or.)
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Legal documents