Abilene and Southern Railway Co. Defendant records, 1922-1924 PDF
- Abilene and Southern Railway CompanyWest Coast Lumbermen's Association.
- Abilene and Southern Railway Co. Defendant records
- 1922-1924 (inclusive)19221924
- 1.5 linear feet, (1 container)
- Collection Number
- Bx 153
- In 1922, the West Coast Lumberman's Association sued the Abilene and Southern Railway Co. regarding "unjust and unreasonable" lumber rates. The collection (1922-1924) contains testimonies, briefs, exhibits, lumber company statistics and research, and correspondence used in the case.
- University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives.
UO Libraries--SPC, 1299
University of Oregon
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open to the public.
Collection must be used in Special Collections & University Archives Reading Room.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Historical NoteReturn to Top
The Abilene and Southern Railway Company was chartered on January 13, 1909, to build from Abilene south to Sonora, about 160 miles. The Abilene and Southern was merged into the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company on November 1, 1978.
In 1922, the West Coast Lumberman's Association sued the Abilene and Southern Railway co. regarding "unjust and unreasonable" lumber rates.
Content DescriptionReturn to Top
The collection contains testimonies, briefs, exhibits, lumber company statistics and research, and correspondence used in the case.
Testimony, brief and hearing material was created in Houston, Texas on March 10-11, 1924 and in Portland, Oregon on April 7-8, 1924.
Files titled "Docket 4, 1321," part 1 and part 2, contain correspondence.
There are thirty-three files of research and statistics on numerous lumber companies.
There is also a tied bundle containing additional correspondence.
Also available is a Interstate Commerce Commission booklet, 1922-1923.
Use of the CollectionReturn to Top
[Identification of item], Abilene and Southern Railway Co. Defendant records, Bx 153, Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries, Eugene, Oregon.
Property rights reside with Special Collections & University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections & University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Archival material may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws and other regulations.
Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g. a cause of action for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Oregon assumes no responsibility.
If a researcher finds sensitive personal information in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Administrative InformationReturn to Top
Names and SubjectsReturn to Top
- Subject Terms :
- Lumber trade--Oregon
- Lumber trade--United States
- Railroad companies--Texas
- Corporate Names :
- Abilene and Southern Railway Company--Records and correspondence.
- West Coast Lumbermen's Association.
- Form or Genre Terms :
- Legal correspondence
- Legal documents
- Legal files